Air Fryer Buttermilk Fried Chicken is a traditional, Southern soul food recipe. This dish is quick to whip up, with less than 5 ingredients. The results are crispy, crunchy fried wings. You can use fresh or frozen chicken, and details include how long to cook and air fryer temperature.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe was originally published in 2018 and has since been updated.
Click here to order the cookbook on Amazon!
The chicken wings are brined with buttermilk, breaded, and seasoned to perfection. This dish has the amazing down home cooking flavor the whole family will love.
Pair this with my Southern Style Soul Food Macaroni and Cheese!
I love that the air fryer takes me back to my roots. I grew up eating fried food. A LOT of it. Back in the day eating fried food regularly was pretty customary, especially among people with my similar background.
Fried chicken, pork chops, catfish, you name it, we fried it all! My family has roots in the south. We specialize in amazing tasting food, but it’s not always healthy.
When I got older I learned more about the dangers of consuming certain foods, especially in excess. I gave up fried foods because it is typically drenched in vegetable oil.
The air fryer is here now. So now I can eat pretty much anything I want (exaggerating maybe a little). 🙂
Is Air Fried Chicken Healthy?
Yes! Using an air fryer cuts out a ton of fat. It also gives you the option to use an oil other than vegetable oil for frying. I love to use olive oil because it’s loaded in monounsaturated fats. The good kind!
How To Make Fried Chicken in an Air Fryer:
- I like to combine the seasoning with the flour. This way the breading is directly seasoned.
- After coating the chicken with buttermilk, dredge each chicken wing in the seasoned flour mixture. You can also toss the wings in a Ziploc bag with the flour and shake. Just be sure most of each wing is coated. If the entire wing isn’t coated you will see uneven parts in the breading when cooked.
- Next, spray the chicken with cooking oil. Spray both sides. Spray at a distance to ensure the breading does not fly off.
- Load the chicken in the air fryer and air fry!
Can You Use Frozen Chicken for Air Fryer Fried Chicken?
Yes. You will however, not be able to bread the chicken while it’s frozen. Fresh always will work better. If cooking from fronzen, allow the chicken to cook in the air fryer for 5-6 minutes first. Then continue with the breading steps.
What Temperature is Used For Air Fryer Fried Chicken?
I set my air fryer to 400 degrees.
Can You Stack Chicken in an Air Fryer?
I load the wings in the air fryer on one level, careful not to overfill the basket. If you overfill the basket it will impact your ability to obtain crunchy chicken. I do not recommend stacking the chicken.
How Long Does It Take To Fry Chicken in the Air Fryer?
It can take up to 25 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your chicken. Always use a meat thermometer to test the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
How to Reheat Fried Chicken in the Air Fryer
I reheat the chicken on 350 degrees for 4-5 minutes or until crisp.
VOILA! Crispy, crunchy southern fried chicken!
Air Fryer Fried Chicken Recipe Tips:
- Instead of shaking, I open the air fryer and turn the wings over every 5 minutes. This helps keep the breading intact. You can also shake the basket. Do what works best for you.
- Use a meat thermometer to test the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
If you are looking for low carb air fryer wings, check out my Keto Air Fryer Chicken Wings recipe.
Click here for a complete listing of Air Fryer Recipes.
Get your Air Fryer Printable Cooking Charts and Cheat Sheets here! These are great to have on hand for reference. The charts include the cook time for fresh and frozen chicken, beef, seafood and vegetables.
Air Fryer Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 2 1/2-3 pounds whole chicken wings
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- McCormick’s Grill Mates Montreal Chicken seasoning to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil I use olive oil.
- Add the chicken wings to a large bowl. Drizzle with the buttermilk. For best results, cover and store the chicken in the fridge for 30 minutes to 3 hours. This will tenderize the chicken.
- Combine the flour, chicken seasoning, salt and pepper in a bowl large enough to dredge the chicken. Stir and mix well.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour and seasonings. Ensure both sides of the chicken are fully coated. Use a spoon to get areas of the chicken wing that were missed.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil.
- Add the chicken wings to the air fryer. It’s ok to stack the chicken, but do not overcrowd the basket. Cook in batches if necessary
- Cook for 20 minutes on 400 degrees. Stop and flip the chicken every 5 minutes, a total of 4 times.
- Ensure the chicken is cooked on the inside. Use a meat thermometer and ensure the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Add additional time if you prefer the chicken is crisper.
- Remove from the air fryer. Cool before serving.
Nutrition (displayed with net carbs)
More Air Fryer Recipes:
Air Fryer Homemade Pop Tarts
Air Fryer Southern Style Pork Chops
Air Fryer Fried Shrimp Po Boy
Air Fryer Old Bay Crab Cakes
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Breaded Fried Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Parmesan Truffle Oil Fries
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic Truffle Aioli
Air Fryer Sriracha Honey Bourbon Fried Chicken Wings
Air Fryer 3 Ingredient Fried Catfish
Air Fryer Bang Bang Panko Breaded Fried Shrimp
Air Fryer Apple Cinnamon Dessert Empanadas
Air Fryer Beef Taco Fried Egg Rolls