This Air Fryer Chicken Breast recipe produces juicy, tender breasts. You can use boneless or bone-in breast along with fresh or frozen meat. These are ready in no time! You won’t miss baked or grilled chicken.
This post was originally published in 2019 and has been since updated.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
Making chicken breast in the air fryer is so simple! You pretty much season it, drop it in and let the machine do the work. It comes as no surprise chicken is my favorite thing to whip up. You may also enjoy my Air Fryer Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Air Fryer Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs and Air Fryer Fried Chicken Wings recipes.
This recipe is so delectable, you probably won’t miss grilled chicken! You can essentially grill chicken right in your kitchen using the air fryer.
What Type of Chicken to Use
I love to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They are easy to cook and versatile to use. You can eat them as the star of the main dish or slice them up and toss them on salads or in soups. You can also use bone-in chicken if preferred.
Do You Have to Marinate the Chicken?
Marinating the chicken is optional, but preferred when cooking something like chicken breasts. Chicken breasts are drier than other cuts of chicken because they have very little fat. A liquid marinade will tenderize the meat and keep it juicy.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Season the chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken breasts in the air fryer.
- Air fry.
Air Fryer Temperature
I like to use 360 degrees.
Cook Time/How Long to Cook
Cook time will vary based on the size of your chicken breasts. The average cook time is around 15 minutes. The exact time will vary for each air fryer brand. Cook the chicken until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer.
How to Cook Bone-In Chicken Breasts
Bone-in chicken breasts will usually need an additional few minutes. Be sure to cook the chicken at the same temperature and until the breasts reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Can You Stack the Chicken?
I don’t like to stack any chicken in the air fryer. It results in longer cook times and it makes it difficult for the food to cook evenly. Cook in batches if necessary.
How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts
Frozen chicken breasts will need 24-28 minutes to cook. Once the chicken has melted some, you can add the seasonings and return it to the air fryer.
Additional Spices and Ideas for How to Season the Chicken
These chicken breasts can be seasoned and marinated in so many ways.
- Homemade BBQ Seasoning and Rub
- Dry Rub for Chicken
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning and Rub
- Homemade Blackened Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- BBQ with BBQ sauce
- Cajun Seasoning
- Teriyaki Seasoning
Pair With These Recipes
Popular Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
Air Fryer French Fries
Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
Air Fryer Pickles
Air Fryer Kale Chips
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
Air Fryer Spatchcock Chicken
Love your air fryer? Check out a full list of Air Fryer Recipes here.
Air Fryer Chicken Breast (Tender, Juicy, No Breading)
- 3 tablespoons chicken marinade I use Tessamae's Organic Lemon Garlic.
- If using a liquid marinade, coat the chicken in the marinade on both sides. Season the chicken with the spices.
- You can marinate the chicken 30 minutes to overnight, but it's not required. Marinating typically results in juicier chicken.
- Place the chicken breasts in the air fryer basket. Do not stack the chicken. Cook in batches if needed.
- Cook for 10 minutes on 360 degrees.
- Open the air fryer and flip the chicken. Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Each air fryer brand will cook at a different rate and speed. Use a meat thermometer to test.
- Cool before serving.