Easy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips is a quick 10 minute recipe that will show you how to make homemade chips from scratch using only 3 ingredients. Pair these air fried corn tortillas with your favorite salsa or guacamole.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
Making tortilla chips in the air fryer can’t get any easier! You can even make taco shells if you want!
A while back I saw a post, How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips on Simply Recipes. I decided to test it out using the air fryer.
How to Cut Tortilla Chips
Cut the tortilla in half, and then again to make 4 triangles, slice each again to make a total of 8 triangle wedges.
How to Make Tortilla Chips in an Air Fryer
Can you put tortillas in an air fryer? Absolutely. A standard rule of thumb is anything you can bake, you can air fry. That rule also includes the baking equipment you use in an oven. It can be used in the air fryer, too.
- Slice the corn tortillas into 8 wedges.
- Spray with olive oil and sprinkle salt throughout.
- Air fry.
Air Fryer Temperature
I like to use 370 degrees.
How Long to Cook Tortilla Chips
Every air fryer brand will cook at different speeds so be sure to monitor your chips. The chips have finished cooking when they are golden brown, firm, and no longer pliable and flexible.
How to Get the Chips Crispy
Use oil on the corn tortillas. This is the best way. I recommend avocado or olive oil. You can air fry the chips without oil. They will crisp. During my testing, I found the chips without oil lost their crunch faster.
How to Store the Chips
Store the chips tightly sealed in a Ziplock bag. They will keep for several days. I’ve gone up to 5.
How to Reheat the Chips
If you lose the crunch on your chips, spritz them with a little bit of oil and reheat them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes on 350 degrees.
Air Fryer Appetizers
Click here for a complete listing of Air Fryer Recipes.
Easy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- 6 corn tortillas Each tortilla will make 6 to 8 chips depending on how you slice them.
- Kosher salt to taste
- cooking oil spray I like to use avocado oil or olive oil.
- Spray both sides of each tortilla with cooking oil (You can also spray them after they have been cut. Both methods work).
- Lay the tortillas in 1 stack. Use a knife or pizza cutter and cut the stack in half.
- Then rotate the stack and cut again to make 4 pieces.
- Then you will cut down the middle again, both horizontally and vertically to form 8 total chips per layer.
- Sprinkle salt throughout the chips. You can add any additional seasonings if you wish.
- Load the chips into the air fryer. Do not overcrowd the basket. Cook in batches if needed. Overcrowding will lead to some chips that taste stale.
- Air fry the chips for 6 minutes on 370 degrees. I did not flip the chips.
- Every air fryer brand will cook at different speeds so be sure to monitor your chips. The chips have finished cooking when they are golden brown, firm, and no longer pliable and flexible. You can also sample one chip to taste.