Easy Air Fryer Crispy Crunchy Sweet Potato Fries are a homemade healthy recipe low in fat and perfect for guilt-free meals. This recipe is air fried with cornstarch to help give the fries an extra crunch. The cook time for frozen sweet potato fries is also included. Whip these up in your Power Air Fryer, Nuwave, or any brand.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post was originally published on August 28, 2017. It has since been updated.
This recipe pairs so well with Low-Carb Garlic Truffle Aioli, Garlic Avocado Aioli, and Chipotle Mayo. It is pretty much exactly the same as my baked Healthy Sweet Potato Fries recipe. I cracked a code and found the perfect way to make sweet potato fries that are crispy AND crunchy, yet still HEALTHY using corn starch.
Are sweet potato fries healthy? Absolutely! Especially when they aren’t cooked in harmful oils like vegetable oil. They are also more nutrient dense than regular French fries.
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes into Fries
I like to use a fry cutter because it’s quick and painless. This also helps get the fries at an even size, which is great for ensuring all of the fries cook evenly in the air fryer.
If using a fry cutter, you will need to soften the sweet potatoes in the microwave for a few minutes first.
If you don’t use a fry cutter, rinse and peel the potatoes. Place the sweet potatoes on a cutting board, and slice off 1/4 of an inch from each side. Roll the potato onto the flattest side. Slice the potatoes lengthwise into 1/2 inch planks. Cut each plank into fries 1/2 of an inch thick.
How to Cook and Make Sweet Potatoes Fries in the Air Fryer
- Add the sliced sweet potatoes to a bowl of cold water.
- Remove from the water and dry the sweet potatoes completely.
- Sprinkle with cornstarch and seasonings.
- Place in the air fryer basket and spray with olive oil.
- Air fry.
How Long to Cook/Cook Time
I like to cook my sweet potato fries for 20-25 minutes. That will get the fries crispy.
Air Fryer Temperature
I recommend 380 degrees.
How to Get the Fries to Crisp
The first step is to soak the sweet potatoes in water to remove the excess starch from the potatoes. You should also coat them in cornstarch which will help get them crispy. Get more tips on How to Make Crispy Sweet Potato Fries here.
You will also need to spray oil on the fries. If you make the fries with no oil, it will be difficult to produce crispy fries.
What is a Good Seasoning to Use
I love to use olive oil, paprika, and garlic. You can also use butter and brown sugar.
How to Cook Frozen Fries
Frozen fries will follow a similar cook time and temperature. The trick is to check in on the fries often and test if they meet your desired level of crisp and crunch.
More Air Fryer Fries and Potato Recipes
Popular Air Fryer Recipes
Click here for a complete listing of Air Fryer Recipes.
Get your Air Fryer Printable Cooking Charts and Cheat Sheets here! These are great to have on hand for reference. The charts include the cook time for fresh and frozen chicken, beef, seafood and vegetables.
Click Here To Snag Your Printable Air Fryer Cooking Charts
Easy Air Fryer Crispy Crunchy Sweet Potato Fries
Fry Cutter Instructions
- I used a fry cutter to slice the sweet potatoes. This helped provide more evenly shaped fries which helps with even cook time.
- If you use a fry cutter, you will need to soften the potatoes first. They are too hard to cut when completely raw. The instructions on the cutter I used, said to microwave for 1 minute. I had to microwave them for 3-4 minutes to get them soft enough.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a large bowl with cold water. Allow the sweet potatoes to soak in the water for an hour.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from water and dry completely. Sprinkle the cornstarch throughout.
- Sprinkle in the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place the fries in the air fryer basket and spray with olive oil. Do not overcrowd the basket. Cook in batches if necessary. If you see white spots of cornstarch on the fries, spray the area with olive oil.
- Adjust the temperature to 380 degrees and cook for 23-25 minutes. Set a timer for 10 minutes and stop and shake the basket at the 10-minute mark (once). Use your judgment. If you like crispy fries, cook them longer and be sure to check on them.
- Cool before serving.