This Air Fryer Butternut Squash is roasted to perfection and seasoned sweet with cinnamon or savory with onion and garlic. Grab fresh or frozen vegetables, either will work for this side dish!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
Butternut squash can typically be found in most grocery stores year-round, but many prefer to consume it throughout the fall. It’s the perfect fruit to add to your rotation.
How Does it Taste?
It reminds me a lot of sweet potatoes. It’s sweet, buttery, and has a slight nutty flavor. The texture is much softer than a sweet potato.
How to Cut and Prepare the Squash
- Start by cutting the stem and the bottom off the squash.
- Use a vegetable peeler and remove the skin from the squash.
- From there, slice the squash in half horizontally.
- Scoop out the inside flesh and seeds.
Do You Have to Peel It?
You can eat the skin, so there’s no need to peel it, if you don’t want to. Simply halve it, scoop out the seeds and chop it into chunks. Peeling is a matter of preference. You can also grab peeled butternut squash in the refrigerated produce section of stores like Trader Joe’s.
Is Butternut Squash Healthy?
It’s technically a fruit. Butternut squash is low in calories but high in nutrients including vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium. A one-cup serving of cooked butternut squash provides more than 450% of the Recommended Daily intake for vitamin A and over 50% of the RDI for vitamin C.
Can You Eat Butternut Squash Seeds
How to Make Air Fryer Butternut Squash
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Peel and cut the butternut squash into chunks 1/2 to an 1 inch thick.
- Drizzle the squash in cooking oil and sprinkle with spices.
- Air fry.
Air Fryer Temperature
I recommend 400 degrees.
Cook Time/How Long to Cook
Cook the squash until it is tender, typically 12-15 minutes.
Frozen squash can be used and cooked at the same temperature. You will need to add a few additional minutes to the cooking time. Cook until tender.
How to Reheat
Reheat in the air fryer at 350 degrees until warm.
Additional Spices and Ways to Season It
Pair With these Recipes
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- It's important your chunks of squash are equally sliced and sized, otherwise the smaller pieces will cook and char faster than the others.
- Spray or drizzle the squash chunks in cooking oil then sprinkle the spices throughout.
- Place the squash in the air fryer basket. Air fry on 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes until tender.