Air Fryer Crunchy Homemade Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips is a quick and easy recipe loaded with the perfect seasoning. This healthy appetizer works well with the Cosori, Power Air Fryer, Nuwave, or any air fryer brand.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post was originally published in October 2018. It has since been updated.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
Who else is with me in that the air fryer can do anything? I have been obsessed with this appliance since the first day I got it. It has truly been a lifesaver.
I am a huge chips fan. In fact, I love the combination of chips and dip a lot more than something like desserts. So naturally, I needed to create an air fryer recipe for homemade potato chips!
I learned about the power of buttermilk powder by watching the Food Network. You can check out this post on Homemade Sour Cream Chips for more information.
Can an Air Fryer Make Potato Chips?
Absolutely! Simply slice up your potatoes, throw them in the air fryer with cooking oil spray, and VOILA!
How to Make Potato Chips in the Air Fryer
- Slice the potato into chips about 1/10th of an inch thick.
- Soak the potatoes in water for 30 minutes to remove excess starch.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket and coat with oil.
- Air Fry.
Air Fryer Temperature
I recommend 400 degrees.
How Long Do You Cook Chips/Cook Time
I like to cook mine for 15-18 minutes until the chips are golden brown in the middle and brown along the edges.
Are Air Fried Chips Healthy?
Air fryer potatoes chips cut the fat in comparison to regular, deep fried potato chips. With the air fryer, you simply spritz the potatoes in oil, as opposed to submerging the potatoes in oil.
How Do You Get the Chips Crunchy?
Using oil spray and the proper cook time is key here. Examine the chips throughout the cooking process to ensure proper cook time. Allow the chips to stand for 30 minutes prior to eating them so that they crisp up.
How to Store the Chips
The chips will be at their best if consumed the same day. You can also store the chips in an air-tight container for future use.
Air Fryer Appetizer Recipes
Click here for a complete listing of Air Fryer Recipes.
Air Fryer Crunchy Homemade Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips
- Wash and scrub the potatoes. Use a mandolin and cut the potatoes into small slices about 1/10 of an inch thick.
- Add the sliced potatoes to a bowl of cold water. Allow the potatoes to soak for at least 30 minutes. This will remove the excess starch from the potatoes and produce light and crunchy chips.
- Remove the potatoes from the water and dry them thoroughly. This is an important step.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil.
- Sprinkle the potato slices with salt and add them to the air fryer. It’s ok to stack the potatoes, but do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. Spray the potatoes with cooking oil.
- Cook the potatoes on 400 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Open the air fryer and shake the potatoes. Cook for an additional 7 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown in the middle and brown along the edges. and have formed chips. Cook time will vary based on the air fryer brand you use. Insert your judgment.
- Add the buttermilk powder, onion powder, and chives to a food processor or blender. Blender for 20-30 seconds.
- Remove the chips from the air fryer and toss them in the bowl with the seasonings.
How Do You Store Air Fryer Potato Chips?The chips will be at their best if consumed the same day. You can also store the chips in an air-tight container for future use.
Nutrition (displayed with net carbs)
More Air Fryer Recipes:
Air Fryer Homestyle French Fries
Air Fryer Homemade Pop Tarts
Air Fryer Southern Style Pork Chops
Air Fryer Fried Shrimp Po Boy
Air Fryer Old Bay Crab Cakes
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Breaded Fried Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Parmesan Truffle Oil Fries
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic Truffle Aioli
Air Fryer Sriracha Honey Bourbon Fried Chicken Wings
Air Fryer 3 Ingredient Fried Catfish
Air Fryer Bang Bang Panko Breaded Fried Shrimp
Air Fryer Apple Cinnamon Dessert Empanadas
Air Fryer Beef Taco Fried Egg Rolls