Fried Shrimp Po Boys with Remoulade Sauce were the perfect experiment for my Air Fryer! What I love most about my Air Fryer is the ability cut out a ton of fat from some of my favorite dishes!
Calories: 437 Fat: 12G Net Carbs: 55G Protein: 24G
Click here to purchase the cookbook on Amazon!
Here is a link to the Air Fryer that I use.
I haven’t had a good shrimp po boy in a while! I have not been to New Orleans in a couple of years. This is usually when I get my fix. A po boy is a traditional sandwich from Louisiana. It usually includes fried seafood like shrimp, crawfish, or crab. I have also seen it with roast beef.
The fried goodness is usually served on French bread or a baguette. The bread is usually toasted and crunchy. Trust me. Prepared correctly, the sandwich is everything and more!
The key to tasty shrimp lies in the marinade. I always marinate my shrimp in advance. Because the shrimp in this recipe is fried, you will want to marinate the shrimp in buttermilk or whatever you prefer to use as a brine, in addition to your seasoning. Egg whites work well, too.
The buttermilk will then adhere to the fish fry that is used to create crunchy shrimp.
Now about the remoulade sauce. What is remoulade sauce? The sauce is mayo based. Let me stop here. If you are one of those people who hate mayo, I encourage you to try it anyway! And then let me know (with an informed opinion) how you feel. 🙂 It has garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and a few other things that you will see below. The sauce pairs perfectly with seafood.
More Air Fryer Recipes:
Air Fryer Old Bay Crab Cakes
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Breaded Fried Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Parmesan Truffle Oil Fries
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic Truffle Aioli
Air Fryer Sriracha Honey Bourbon Fried Chicken Wings
Air Fryer 3 Ingredient Fried Catfish
Air Fryer Bang Bang Panko Breaded Fried Shrimp
Air Fryer Apple Cinnamon Dessert Empanadas
Air Fryer Beef Taco Fried Egg Rolls
Pin this recipe for later here.
Air Fryer Fried Louisiana Shrimp Po Boy with Remoulade Sauce
- 1 pound shrimp, deveined I usually go for the biggest shrimp I can find because they shrink a little when you cook them
- 1/2 cup Louisiana Fish Fry
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 French bread hoagie rolls I used 2 loaves, cut each in half
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 8 tomato slices
- 1 tsp Creole Seasoning I used Tony Chachere
- 1 tsp butter optional
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate prior to serving while the shrimp cooks.
Shrimp Po Boy
- Season the shrimp with the seasonings.
- Pour the buttermilk in a bowl. Dip each of the shrimp in the buttermilk. Place the shrimp in a Ziploc bag and in the fridge to marinate. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. I prefer overnight.
- Add the fish fry to a bowl. Remove the shrimp from the bags and dip each into the fish fry. Add the shrimp to to Air Fryer basket.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees.
- Spray the shrimp with olive oil. Do not spray directly on the shrimp. The fish fry will go flying. Keep a nice distance.
- Cook the shrimp for 5 minutes. Open the basket and flip the shrimp to the other side. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the sliced bread on a sheet pan.
- Allow the bread to toast for a couple of minutes.
- Optional step if you prefer butter: Melt the butter in the microwave. Using a cooking brush, spread the butter over the bottom of the French bread.
- Assemble the po boy. Spread the remoulade sauce on the French bread. Add the sliced tomato and lettuce, and then the shrimp.