This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
Instant Pot Easy Cheesy Shrimp and Grits is a quick pressure cooker recipe that uses either stone ground grits or quick grits with cheese, butter, and tons of flavor. This dish highlights authentic southern shrimp and grits with gravy. The grits only take 10 minutes to make, no more standing at the stove stirring grits!
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff in this blog post.
I have finally tested out grits in the Instant Pot and I will be the first to tell you, I am never going back to stovetop! I have always enjoyed cooking! I was the girl right alongside my mama every Sunday and every single holiday washing greens and slicing up vegetables for family dinners and functions.
Often, we would eat grits often with fried catfish. If you are looking for catfish to pair with your Instant Pot grits, be sure to check out my Air Fryer Fried Catfish recipe!
As I grow older, I still have the same love for cooking, but I want things to be done faster! I have so much on my plate these days. I have to create balance in order to juggle it all.
I experimented with grits 4 times before posting this recipe. I have tried both quick grits (not instant) and stone ground. I have noted what worked for me with both types below.
I also think that stone ground grits have a different texture than quick grits. Just an FYI there. Stone ground grits are harder to find at an everyday grocery store. Most are focused on instant grits. I got my stone ground grits at Trader Joe’s and you can also pick up White Stone Ground Grits from Amazon.
What Type of Grits Do You Use in The Instant Pot
I have tested both stone ground grits and quick grits (not instant) in the Instant Pot. It makes more sense to use stone ground grits, because these grits usually take 35-40 minutes stovetop.
How to Cook Grits in the Instant Pot
Salt your liquids. With the Instant Pot method, you simply add salt to the pan with the broth and milk.
Whisk the grits well. While making grits stovetop, I always felt that I had to stand there for so long whisking. You still have to do some whisking with the Instant Pot, but not nearly as much. After adding the ingredients to the pot, I whisk to ensure there aren’t any initial lumps.
After you remove the grits from the Instant Pot, whisk again (you can use a whisk or spoons). Ensure there aren’t any lumps in the grits. If you find it hard to remove lumps try adding a small amount of milk and whisk again.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Grits in the Instant Pot?
Stone ground grits will take 10 minutes on Manual > High-Pressure Cooking, with 15 minutes natural release and Quick Grits will take 10 minutes on Manual High-Pressure Cooking with 10 minutes natural release.
Can You Cook Grits in the Instant Pot Without Using a Pan Inside the Pot?
Yes, in fact, this is my favorite way to cook grits in the Instant Pot. I provided instructions for how to cook the grits using the stackable pans for the people that would like to save time or don’t have two Instant Pots.
I have two Instant Pots. So I have also prepared this recipe by lining the Instant Pot with olive oil using a cooking brush and then adding my grits and other ingredients. I cooked the bacon and prepared the shrimp and gravy in my second Instant Pot.
Can You Add Tomatoes to this Recipe?
Yes, if you wish to add tomatoes, I recommend 15oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Add them with the onions during the initial steps.
Growing up, we didn’t add tomatoes to our grits. Within recent years I have observed the trend of tomatoes with gravy and grits served at restaurants for dinner and/or brunch.
This Instant Pot Accessories Set has everything you need to master the Instant Pot. It includes with Steamer Basket, Egg Steamer Rack, Non-stick Springform Pan, Steaming Stand, 1 Pair Silicone Cooking Pot Mitts, and more.
More Instant Pot Recipes:
Instant Pot Garlic Tuscan Chicken Thighs
Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice Sweet Potato Soup
Instant Pot Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Instant Pot Low-Carb Pumpkin Spice Bread
Instant Pot Lasagna
Instant Pot Shrimp Risotto with Vegetables and Parmesan
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs Using the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken and Spanish Rice (Arroz Con Pollo)
Instant Pot Cheesecake
Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
Instant Pot Steak Tacos
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowl with Quinoa
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
Try our Instant Pot Gumbo!
and our Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice!
WATCH THE VIDEO
Instant Pot Easy Cheesy Shrimp and Grits
Shrimp and Sauce
- 1 pound fresh, large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chicken-broth I use low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning omit if you do not desire a hint of spicy
- 1/2 lemon juice of
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 1 cups chicken broth I use low-sodium
- 1 1/4 cup milk I used almond
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan reggiano cheese shredded
- Place the Instant Pot on the saute function. Add the chopped bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside, drain most of the bacon grease. I reserved about a teaspoon.
- Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the garlic and onions become fragrant.
- Add the 1/2 cup chicken broth, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and fresh lemon juice. Stir.
- Close and seal the pot. Cook for 10 Minutes on Manual > High-Pressure Cooking.
- Season the shrimp with Old Bay Seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, allow the steam to release naturally for 15 minutes instead of performing a quick release.
- Open the pot and remove the stackable steamer.
- Place the Instant Pot on saute function. Add the shrimp to the pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the shrimp have turned bright pink.
- While the shrimp cooks add the butter and shredded cheese to the grits. Stir well to combine. Wisk any lumps in the grits. (Using the Instant Pot you shouldn't have any!)
- Serve the shrimp and gravy sauce over the grits topped with the crumbled bacon.