Most of the country is dealing with sub-zero temperatures and/or snow right now. We could all use some great comfort food! The best thing about this recipe is that from start to finish you should be able to complete this dish in around 30 minutes. Say what?! Yes, 30 minutes.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Saute onions and garlic in the pot.
- Add the chicken breasts, broth, Better than Bouillon, taco seasoning, and tomato paste to the pot.
- Close and seal.
- Pressure cook.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return the chicken to the pot.
- Stir and serve.
One of the things that blew me away when I first got my Instant Pot was the ability to produce JUICY shredded chicken in 10 minutes. I made juicy, shredded chicken previously in my slow-cooker.
This is still an amazing way to produce shredded chicken. But, when it comes to weeknight dinners, if I didn’t pop in the chicken early that morning before rushing off to work, then there is no shredded chicken that night.
How Long Do Chicken Breasts Need to Cook in the Instant Pot
Size really matters when determining how long your chicken breasts will need to cook.
You determine cook time based on size of individual breasts, not total pounds.
- 6-ounce chicken breasts 6-8 minutes
- 8-ounce chicken breasts 7-9 minutes
- 10-ounce chicken breasts 8-10 minutes
You can read more about How to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot here.
Can you make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Using Rotisserie Chicken?
Yes, in fact, that would save some time with this recipe. Simply skip the steps pertaining to the chicken.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Tips
- If you wish to make this low-carb and keto, simply omit the beans and tortilla! If strict keto, omit the corn as well.
- Additional topping ideas: sliced avocado, reduced-fat sour cream, plain, non-fat Greek yogurt (protein sour cream replacement), guacamole, jalapenos.
- Cooking time noted includes the estimated time for the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
- Instead of using pre-mixed taco seasoning you can make your own using 1 tbsp of chili powder and 1 tsp cumin.
- I did not add any additional salt to this recipe. For me, the taco seasoning and Better Than Bouillon Chicken flavor provided enough flavor. If your soup is too salty you can dilute it with small doses of water.
More Instant Pot Recipes:
Instant Pot Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
Instant Pot Chicken, Seafood, and Sausage Gumbo
Instant Pot Baked Creamed Cheesy Corn with Ham
Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice Sweet Potato Soup
Instant Pot Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Instant Pot Shrimp Risotto with Vegetables and Parmesan
Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash
Instant Pot Steak Tacos
Pin this recipe for later here.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can low-sodium black beans
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chilis I used Rotel
- 1/2 lime juice of
- 32 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Flavor
- 1/4 packet Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup tortilla strips
- 2 tsp cilantro chopped
- Place the Instant Pot on the saute function. Add the onions and garlic to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken breasts, chicken broth, Better than Bouillon, taco seasoning, and tomato paste to the Instant Pot.
- Close the pot and seal. Place the Instant Pot on Manual > High Pressure Cooking for 10 minutes.
- Allow the steam to naturally release for 10 minutes instead of performing a quick release.
- Remove the lid. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred using a knife and fork.
- Return the chicken to the pot. Place the Instant Pot on the saute function.
- Add the corn, beans, Rotel, and lime juice. Stir to combine. Allow the soup to cook for 3-4 minutes until the corn and beans have softened some.
- Serve in soup bowls. Top with tortilla strips, cilantro, and shredded cheese.