Easy Air Fryer Crispy Fried Chicken Nuggets is a quick kid-friendly recipe using chicken breasts to make healthy nuggets. You can also cut the breasts into strips to make chicken tenders or strips. You won’t need to head out to ChickFila to please the family! The recipe includes tips on how to cook from frozen using the Air Fryer XL or any branded air fryer. Are you keto or low-carb? Simply omit the breading and create naked tenders.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
Thanks to the air fryer the days of eating store bought chicken nuggets are gone! A lot of store-bought chicken nuggets are filled with processed ingredients so you have to be really careful.
If you prefer to make store-bought chicken nuggets in your air fryer, be sure to check out this post The Best Frozen Chicken Nuggets for a list of options.
How Do You Cook Chicken Nuggets in the AirFryer?
You will first have to decide if you would like breaded nuggets or nuggets without the breading. Non-breaded chicken can simply be seasoned with spices and added to the air fryer.
For breaded nuggets, you will need flour, a couple of eggs, and breadcrumbs.
Slice a couple of chicken breasts into big chunks.
Dip the chicken in flour, then egg, and then breadcrumbs.
Load them in the air fryer.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Chicken Nuggets in an Air Fryer?
Total cook time is 15 minutes but will vary based on the air fryer brand that you use and how crispy you like your nuggets. I’m a fan of really crispy chicken. I let these cook for about 14-15 minutes.
How Long Do You Cook Fried Chicken in an Air Fryer?
I’ve made fried chicken wings in the air fryer repeatedly. It’s actually my favorite thing to make in the air fryer. I let fried chicken wings cook for 20-22 minutes because again, I like my chicken to be crispy. Check out my Air Fryer Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Air Fryer Parmesan Breaded Fried Chicken recipes.
How Do You Air Fry Chicken Fingers?
The steps are similar to what is documented above, however, when slicing the chicken breast cut it into long strips instead of small chunks.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Frozen Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets?
Frozen nuggets will need 15- 20 minutes to cook.
Pair these nuggets with Air Fryer Homemade French Fries.
WATCH THE VIDEO!
Easy Air Fryer Crispy Fried Chicken Nuggets
- 1 pound skinless chicken breasts sliced into large chunks, size will depend on your preference and what size nuggets you prefer
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1-2 eggs If you use medium sized eggs you will need 2 eggs, for extra large eggs you may only need 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs If you prefer you can use Italian Seasoned breadcrumbs and omit the Italian Seasoning above
- cooking oil spray I use olive oil
- Place the flour in a bowl with the Italian Seasoning, chicken seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Add the egg to a separate bowl and beat.
- Add the breadcrumbs to a third bowl.
- Dip the sliced chicken in the seasoned flour, then the egg, and last the breadcrumbs. Place the chicken on a clean surface. Note: Your hands will get very sticky. Keep a moistened paper towel handy to wipe your hands.
- Spray the breaded chicken with cooking oil. Keep a safe distance from the chicken so that the spray does not send the breading flying. I like to spray both sides of the nuggets while they are on a flat surface before loading them into the air fryer. This ensures each is properly coated.
- Place the nuggets in the air fryer. Do not overcrowd the basket. Consider cooking them in batches if you have a small air fryer basket.
- Cook for 4 minutes on 400 degrees.
- Open the air fryer and flip the nuggets. I used tongs instead of shaking the basket.
- Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Open the air fryer and examine the nuggets to determine if they have reached your desired level of crisp. I cooked mine for an additional 5 minutes at this point.
- Remove the nuggets and serve.