This Easy Seafood Crab Salad is a quick recipe with shrimp and crab meat. Serve it cold and chilled or warm with veggies, as a lettuce wrap, or with bread as a sandwich.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Growing up I ate this salad a lot. It makes a great appetizer for soul food Sunday dinners and holidays. You can also season it with Cajun seasoning to give it a little kick!
What Type of Crab to Use
I use lump crab meat. You can find it in the refrigerated meat section of the grocery store. This recipe is commonly made with imitation crab meat, sometimes called krab meat. You can use that if you wish, it’s also sometimes easier to find.
Imitation crab is processed fish meat. It is seafood and comes from surimi that has been deboned and minced into paste. It does not contain crab. Crab extract is sometimes added for flavor.
Use whichever you wish. You can read more about What Imitation Crab Is here.
What Type of Shrimp to Use
Shrimp can be found at the grocery store in a few different ways. There is raw, pre-cooked, raw and frozen, deveined, tails on, tails off, etc.
I never use pre-cooked shrimp. There is an obvious difference in taste due to the lack of quality. The shrimp is cooked and then frozen and you have to cook it/warm it up again. This usually overcooks the shrimp. Raw shrimp only takes minutes to make, just buy it raw.
Always look for deveined, that’s my preference. The black vein that runs along the back of the shrimp is the digestive intestinal tract. Is this shrimp poop, yes.
You can buy it with the vein and remove it using a sharp paring knife to make a slit along the back and lift out the vein with the tip of the knife.
How to Make Seafood Crab Salad
- Cook the shrimp until bright pink.
- Combine the shrimp, crab, celery, onion, dill, lemon juice, mayo, and seasoning in a large bowl.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
How to Substitute Mayo
If you are looking to make the recipe with no mayo, use plain Greek yogurt, cream cheese, or sour cream instead.
Additional Ingredients or Substitution Ideas
- Mustard (a tablespoon or to taste)
- Bell Peppers
- Hard-Boiled Eggs
What to Eat and Pair With the Salad
- Parmesan Cheese Crisps
- Wheat Chips
- Lettuce Wraps
- Fresh veggies like celery, broccoli, or cauliflower
- You can also serve it on bread as sandwiches.
What to Serve with the Salad
How Long Will it Last in the Fridge
It will last (tightly covered) for 3-4 days.
How Many Calories and Carbs
Each serving has 297 calories and 1 net carb.
More Seafood Recipes
More Salad Recipes
Easy Seafood Crab Salad
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp Cut into smaller chunks, about an inch.
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crab You can use imitation crab if you wish.
- 1 finely chopped celery stalk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice Add more and adjust to taste if neccessary.
- 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning Divided into 1/2 teaspoon portions.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat with the olive oil.
- When hot, add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through until the shrimp turns bright pink.
- Add the crab and 1/2 teaspoon of the Old Bay Seasoning. Stir.
- Remove the crab and shrimp from the pan and add it to a large mixing bowl along with the mayo, lemon juice, celery, onions, 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.