This Easy Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe is made with sour cream or Greek yogurt, onions, and without vinegar. This healthy dish is the perfect side, especially when you are wondering what to do with excess cucumbers!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
I am always looking for ways to sneak in green veggies! I’m not a huge salad person. I don’t like basic salads. I like the ones that are a little different….like this one!
If you are a fan of tzatziki sauce, you will probably enjoy this salad. That’s what it reminds me of. Tzatziki is made of yogurt mixed with cucumbers, garlic, salt, olive oil, sometimes with vinegar or lemon juice, and herbs such as dill, mint, parsley, and thyme. It’s so good!
What Type of Cucumbers to Use
I like to use English cucumbers (also often called hot house) because they have less seeds and thinner skin than normal cucumbers. Normal cucumbers are also usually more bitter because of the seeds.
If you use normal cucumbers I recommend peeling the skin and removing the seeds. The excess seeds will create more moisture and result in a watery salad. You can also slice the cucumbers and spread them out on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and allow them to sit for 30 minutes to sweat out excess moisture.
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Slice a cucumber and 1/2 cup of an onion into thin slices. I like to use this Mandolin Slicer from Amazon.
- Add the sliced cucumbers and onions to a bowl with Greek yogurt or sour cream, lemon juice, fresh dill, sweetener, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Mix the ingredients.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
How to Substitute Dill
I used fresh dill in this recipe. If you want to use dried dill, use 1 teaspoon.
You can also substitute tarragon for dill. For fresh tarragon, use 1 tablespoon. For dried, use a teaspoon. You can read more about Substitutes for Dill Weed here.
Can You Use Mayo in this Recipe?
Yes, you can substitute the serving of Greek yogurt or sour cream for mayo.
How to Add Ranch Dressing
I’ve also made this recipe using my homemade ranch seasoning. It comes from my Keto Homemade Ranch Dressing recipe. You can also use 1-2 tablespoons of ranch seasoning mix. Here are the ingredients (use 1/2 teaspoon of each):
How to Jazz Up the Salad With More Ingredients
- Feta Cheese
How Many Calories?
1/2 cup of the salad has 34 calories.
How Long Will the Salad Last in the Fridge
With a salad like this, most people want to know if it can be prepared ahead of time. It will last up to a week in the fridge if covered in an airtight container, but I find the salad will start to get watery after 3-4 days. I typically aim for 3 days.
What Main Dish Will Pair Well?
If you are looking for what to serve with the salad here is a great list. This salad can be devoured year-round and will pair well with about anything.
More Salad Recipes
Easy Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 3 cups thinly sliced cucumbers I use English or hot house cucumbers.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions I use red onions
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill If using dried dill use 1 teaspoon.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the cucumber and onion into thin slices. I like to use a mandolin because it's quick and easy.
- Add the cucumber and onions to a bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Stir until well combined. Serve chilled or at room temperature.