Easy, Cauliflower Potato Salad (Keto, Low-Carb, Paleo) is the best quick and easy recipe to pair with your summer salads and other BBQ cookout side dishes. This creamy mock, faux potato salad is best served chilled or cold. Potatoes are substituted for cauliflower due to their amazing texture. Who says you can’t enjoy potato salad on keto?!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
When I attend a summer BBQ cookout, I always expect potato salad to be on the menu. It’s the perfect compliment to a plate of marinated meat.
I grew up eating a traditional, southern-style potato salad. You can find my Instant Pot Potato Salad recipe here. I have adapted that version by substituting the potatoes for cauliflower. I also substituted the pickle relish (it is loaded with sugar and carbs) for dried dill weed and pickle juice.
Most pickles are very keto-friendly and make great snacks!
Is Potato Salad Keto Friendly?
Traditional potato salad is not keto. The main ingredient is what prevents it from being a low carb dish, the potatoes. Potatoes are loaded with carbs. See more detail below.
How to Make Keto Potato Salad Using Cauliflower
- Boil chopped cauliflower on the stove to soften.
- Drain the cauliflower and place in a large bowl.
- Add mayo, pickle juice, dill weed, mustard, chopped boiled eggs, and salt and pepper. Stir.
- Chill and garnish with paprika
I use my Instant Pot to boil the eggs in minutes. It makes them easy to peel. You can check out How to Boil Eggs Using the Instant Pot here.
Carbs in Cauliflower
One cup of cauliflower has 2 net carbs. It’s loaded with fiber and is great for a keto lifestyle. Veggies like cauliflower are essential, to ensure proper nutrient consumption, especially for something like fiber.
Carbs in Potatoes
Potatoes are really starchy, so they have a lot of carbs. One potato has around 37 carbs, which definitely isn’t good for ketosis. You can read more about The Carbs in Potatoes here.
Carbs in Homemade Potato Salad
My own potato salad recipe has about 13-20 net carbs per serving, depending on how large of a serving is consumed!
How to Make it Without Mayo
Sour cream, Ranch Salad Dressing, or plain Greek yogurt can be substituted for mayo.
Celery is used in many variations of potato salad. My traditional Southern recipe does not have celery. Feel free to add it if you wish.
Bacon makes everything better! Feel free to sprinkle in some bacon.
Looking for a vegan version? Try this Vegan Cauliflower Potato Salad.
How Long Will it Last in the Refrigerator?
It will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Can You Freeze it?
Mayo does not freeze well. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
More Keto Low-Carb Side Dishes:
Easy, Cauliflower Potato Salad (Keto, Low-Carb, Paleo)
- 3 cups cauliflower florets chopped in half into smaller bits
- ¾ cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon dill seasoning
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 4 hard-boiled eggs add additional eggs if you wish to garnish the salad with sliced eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika to garnish
- Boil 1 inch of water in a large pot on the stove.
- Add the cauliflower, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook until tender. This will take about 8 minutes. Test the cauliflower by poking it with a fork to determine it is soft.
- While the cauliflower cooks, chop 4 boiled eggs into smaller bits.
- Drain the water from the cauliflower. Place the cauliflower in a large mixing bowl or serving dish.
- Add the mayo, mustard, pickle juice, dill seasoning, chopped onions, chopped egg, salt and pepper to taste to the bowl with the cauliflower.
- Stir to combine. Taste repeatedly to determine if additional salt, mustard, or dill seasoning is needed.
- Chill for a least one hour.
- Garnish the potato salad with sliced boiled eggs and sprinkled paprika.