My favorite time of year is finally here. Yes, I love every single thing about the holiday season. Most of all I love all of the yummy food and treats. This green bean casserole recipe is not just for the holidays. This dish is so scrumptious you will likely want to eat it any time of the year.
Why did I use an Instant Pot? Well because I wanted to. Surely, you can make green bean casserole without an Instant Pot. Just like you make a ton of other recipes without an Instant Pot. I love using my Instant Pot because it is convenient for me and my lifestyle. Pressure cookers also do a great job of producing immense flavor. A lot of my fellow Instant Pot fans will agree with me there.
I like being able to set something to cook and then walk away. The experience is different than a slow-cooker because I don’t have to wait several hours for the meal to complete. I can maybe do a load of laundry and come back or cook other side dishes or meals in the meantime.
These perks come in really handy for holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am usually responsible for a few different menu items for our family holiday celebrations. Cooking could very well turn out to be an all day event for several different reasons, varying oven temperatures required for baked items, the time it takes to properly prep certain dishes, etc. Having a stand-alone appliance can help out a lot.
This green bean casserole may be a little different than what you are used to. I added shredded cheese. I couldn’t resist! If you are dairy-free or vegan, simply omit the ingredient. The casserole is still such an amazing side dish. I love to remix my favorite childhood recipes from time to time.
More Holiday Recipes:
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup with Spinach
Instant Pot Caramel Apple Cider
Instant Pot Meatball Sliders
Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice Sweet Potato Soup
Instant Pot Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Instant Pot Starbucks Gingerbread Latte
Instant Pot Skinny Pumpkin Spice Latte
Instant Pot Low-Carb Pumpkin Spice Bread
Instant Pot Lasagna
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs Using the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken and Spanish Rice (Arroz Con Pollo)
Instant Pot Cheesecake
Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
Instant Pot Steak Tacos
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowl with Quinoa
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
Pin this recipe for later here.
Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole with Cheese
- 4-5 cups fresh green beans stems removed
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup You can use any "cream of." I often use homemade. See notes.
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, part skim cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, part skim shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cup french fried onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1-2 tsp water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Place the Instant Pot on the Sauté function. Add the olive oil and garlic.
- Cook until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and green beans to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Close the pot and seal. Cook in Manual High-Pressure Cooking for 15 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot indicates it has finished, quick release the steam. Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté function.
- Combine the flour and water in a small bowl to create a slurry. Add the slurry to the pot.
- Add half of the shredded cheese and stir.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Place the mozzarella cubes throughout the casserole. Top with the remaining shredded cheese, panko breadcrumbs, and fried onions. Serve.
Optional Steps (for crunchy topping)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the green bean casserole from the pot after adding the flour water slurry and half of the shredded cheese.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the casserole to a baking dish. Place the mozzarella cubes throughout the casserole. Top with the remaining cheese, breadcrumbs and fried onions.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until the cheese has melted and crisped slightly on top.
- Cool before serving.
- Add the garlic to a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the soup, green beans, and salt and pepper. Cook until the green beans are soft for 4-5 minutes. Add half of the cheese and stir.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish. Place the mozzarella cubes throughout the casserole. Top with the remaining cheese, and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the dish. Top with the french fried onions. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.