Easy Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken is a quick, simple, Asian pressure cooker recipe that uses either chicken breasts or thighs, soy sauce, and homemade teriyaki sauce. You can use store bought bottled sauce if you wish. Pair this Chinese stir fry with broccoli, cauliflower rice, or brown rice to create healthy meal prep bowls!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
Weeknight dinners can’t get any easier than this! This is a dish that will be ready for your family in 30 minutes! Total win!
How to Make and Cook Teriyaki Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the pot with the chicken and the chicken broth.
- Close the lid and seal.
- Pressure Cook.
- Open the pot and remove the chicken.
- Slice or shred the chicken.
- Place the Instant Pot on the Saute function. Add a slurry thickener and stir.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot. Optional to add steamed broccoli.
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
To make your own teriyaki sauce you will need soy sauce (or liquid aminos), ginger (I use minced), brown sweetener, rice vinegar, garlic, and water. Simply add the ingredients to the pot!
Teriyaki Chicken with Bottled Store-Bought Sauce
I prefer to make homemade teriyaki sauce, but you can use store-bought if you wish. I recommend Primal Kitchen Teriyaki sauce because it’s low in sugar. Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce is another option, but it has soy and added-sugar.
How Long to Cook Teriyaki Chicken
I use chicken breasts in this recipe, which calls for a 10 minute cook time on High Pressure. I allow the pressure and steam to release naturally for 10 minutes.
How to Substitute Chicken Thighs
I typically cook bone-in thighs for 12 minutes and with a 10-minute natural release of steam.
Boneless thighs can follow the same 10 minutes of cook time as noted in the recipe.
How Long Teriyaki Chicken Will Last in the Refrigerator
This dish will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Teriyaki Chicken Freezer Tips
Place the leftovers in a sealable bag or container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. I like to defrost overnight in the fridge, as opposed to microwaving from frozen.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Easy Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum for a keto low carb alternative
- 2 tablespoons water
- chopped green onions
- sesame seeds
- Add the chicken breasts, chicken broth, and all of the ingredients for the homemade teriyaki sauce to the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the pot and seal. Cook for 10 minutes on Manual > High-Pressure Cooking.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes, as opposed to a quick release.
- Open the pot, remove the chicken, and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water. Stir to create a slurry that will resemble a paste. If you are making the low carb version, Take 2 tablespoons of the teriyaki sauce mixture from the Instant Pot and combine it in a small bowl with the xantham gum. Mix until it forms a thick paste.
- Place the Instant Pot on the Saute function. Add the thickener to the pot and stir. Continue to stir until the mixture is fully combined and the sauce thickens.
- Turn off the Saute function on the pot. Slice up the chicken and return it to the pot.
- Serve the teriyaki chicken over cauliflower or brown rice.
- Adding broccoli to this recipe is optional. I like to add it, to make it a complete meal and to add some fiber. I prefer to use the Steamfresh veggies in a bag. I use about 2 1/2 cups of broccoli and I steam it in the microwave while the teriyaki cooks.
- You can choose to make your own teriyaki sauce or use store-bought. If using store-bought 3/4-1 cup will work fine.
- I chose to slice up the chicken, but you can also shred it using forks.
- Macros noted below assume xanthan gum is used (as opposed to cornstarch) and includes 2.5 cups of broccoli (total).