Easy Instant Pot Southern-Style Soul Food Green Beans is a quick pressure cooker recipe that is perfect for the holidays including Thanksgiving and Christmas. This dish is keto and low-carb loaded with immense flavor using chicken broth, bacon, and seasoning. This post provides the cooking time for prepping green beans in the Instant Pot. This dish is ready in 30 minutes or less.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you love green beans, you will definitely love my Air Fryer Garlic Green Beans.
How to Pressure Cook Green Beans in the Instant Pot
1. Chop up bacon, onions, and garlic. Saute them in the Instant Pot.
2. Add the green beans, chicken broth, and Better Than Bouillon. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Pressure cook for 15 minutes.
How Long (Time) to Cook Green Beans in the Instant Pot
I like to cook green beans for 15 minutes with a quick release of pressure.
Can I Use Frozen Green Beans?
Yes, you can use frozen green beans. I prefer fresh green beans. The cook time will be the same, using frozen green beans. The pot will take longer to come to pressure.
How Do You Cook Southern Green Beans?
Southern green beans are what my family grew up eating. For special occasions, like Sunday dinners or holidays we always prepared the dish using fresh green beans. On weeknights, we did frequently use canned green beans. Southern green beans are typically prepared with bacon. Before the Instant Pot, I would simmer the green beans, bacon, and seasonings on the stove.
What Can You Use Besides Bacon For Southern Green Beans?
You can use ham, sausage, a turkey leg….the sky is the limit!
I love to serve this dish around the holidays or on the weeknights with dinner. Be sure to check out my Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole recipe.
Can You Freeze the Green Beans?
Yes. I recommend freezing them in the broth in air tight containers to retain flavor. You can freeze the green beans up to 3 months.
More Instant Pot Recipes
More Southern Style Recipes
Southern Style Homemade Cornbread
Southern Style Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Southern Mustard Greens
Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Collard Greens
Instant Pot Brisket
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
Instant Pot Louisiana Gumbo
Instant Pot Southern Baked Beans
Easy Instant Pot Southern-Style Soul Food Green Beans
- 4 slices uncooked bacon sliced into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound fresh green beans stems removed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Flavor
- salt and pepper to taste I go light on the salt because the bacon and broth provide plenty of flavor for me.
- 1 slice cooked and crumbled bacon optional
- Turn the Instant Pot on the sautee function. Add the 4 slices of uncooked bacon. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the bacon crisps.
- Drain the excess fat from the Instant Pot. I reserved about a teaspoon of fat in the pot.
- Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pot with a spatula. Scrap up all the bits of cooked bacon in the pot.
- Add the Better than Bouillon, green beans, salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
- Cook for 15 minutes on Manual > High Pressure Cooking.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, quick release the steam.
- Serve the green beans with additional crumbled bacon sprinkled throughout.