Quick and Easy Instant Pot Cabbage is the best pressure cooker recipe that is loaded with flavor. You only need a few ingredients to make cabbage in the Instant Pot in 10 minutes! Serve this sausage and cabbage for Sunday Dinners, holidays like Thanksgiving and St. Patrick’s Day, or for a quick weeknight meal!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
Cooking cabbage in the Instant Pot can’t get any easier! Southern, steamed cabbage usually takes at least 30 minutes (or longer) to make and you have to be careful not to overcook it.
The Instant Pot eliminates the guessing and makes it with the perfect texture. You can even add cooked potatoes if you wish!
I love Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage, but I love good old school, southern cabbage, too! Growing up we have always enjoyed cabbage…even fried cabbage!
How To Cut Cabbage for Boiling
Slice the cabbage in half to create 2 portions. Slice the core/stem out of both. Then slice each piece in half. You should have 4 smaller chunks of cabbage. From there, slice each into smaller strips.
How to Cook Cabbage in Instant Pot
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot on the saute function. Add sliced sausage and cook for a few minutes.
- Add in minced garlic and stir.
- Next, add butter, broth, and the sliced cabbage to the pot.
- Pressure cook.
How Long to Pressure Cook Cabbage
Cook the cabbage for 7 minutes with a quick release of steam. 7 minutes will produce really soft cabbage, southern and soul food style. If you want crisp cabbage, cut the cooking time in half.
What Dishes Go With Cabbage?
Instant Pot Collard Greens
Instant Pot Gumbo
Instant Pot Southern Style Green Beans
Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Southern Homemade Cornbread
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
Instant Pot Shrimp and Grits
Keto Low-Carb Smothered Pork Chops
Instant Pot Baked Beans
Get more Instant Pot Recipes and Southern Soul Food Recipes here.
How to Cook Cabbage Without it Smelling
I may be in the minority, but I love the smelled of cooked cabbage and sausage. It smells like dinnertime and it gets my stomach rumbling.
If you don’t like it, you can try adding a teaspoon of white vinegar or a tablespoon of lemon juice to your pot when it cooks. You can read more about How to Get Rid of Cooked Cabbage Odor here.
Instant Pot Cabbage Freezer Tips
Properly stored (covered and sealed tightly), cooked cabbage will last in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
You can freeze the cabbage for up to 8-9 months. Thaw the frozen cabbage overnight in the fridge.
Quick and Easy Instant Pot Cabbage
- Slice the cabbage in half to create 2 portions. Slice the core/stem out of both. Then slice each piece in half. You should have 4 smaller chunks of cabbage. From there, slice each into smaller strips.
- Place the Instant Pot on the saute function and add the olive oil when the pot is hot.
- Add the sliced sausage. Cook for 3-4 minutes until both sides are cooked through.
- Add in the garlic and stir.
- Add in the butter to the pan and allow it to melt. Deglaze the pan by scooping up the browned bits from the sausage along the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sliced cabbage and broth. The cabbage will take up most of the room of the Instant Pot. It will wilt down when it cooks.
- Close the pot and seal. Cook for 7 minutes on Manual > High-Pressure Cooking.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, quick release the steam.
- Open the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Taste repeatedly and adjust as necessary. Serve when cool.