Juicy Instant Pot Brisket is an easy pressure cooker recipe marinated with rubs and spices and drizzled in BBQ sauce if you wish. Serve this brisket for any of your favorite holidays or for a quick weeknight meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
I live in Kansas City and can assure you, Texas isn’t the only state that appreciates BBQ brisket! The great thing about brisket, is that it’s tender and moist and it does not have to be served with BBQ sauce to make it enjoyable! Brisket is also naturally keto friendly and low carb.
Brisket is really common for Passover and Jewish holidays. As a Christian, my family likes to enjoy brisket during the Christmas and Easter holidays. It’s a great break from eating turkey. It’s usually slow cooked, so I love that we can use the Instant Pot to speed up the process.
What Cut of Meat is Brisket
Brisket is from the lower chest of the cow and is considered a primal cut of meat. It has a lot of tough connective tissue, so brisket is usually cooked on a low setting for a long period of time to break down the tissue and get the brisket juicy.
Which Brisket to Buy
Most grocery stores will cut the brisket into 2 categories, the flat and the point. The flat is really easy to slice. I usually purchase only the flat.
The point has more fat and falls apart easily when cooked. It’s really tender.
You can also purchase a cut of brisket that has both the flat and point.
How to Cook Brisket in an Instant Pot
- First, start with seasoning the brisket. I like to use a BBQ Rub or Steak Seasoning Rub. I also like to marinate the brisket. When you marinate the meat, it penetrates and absorbs more flavor.
- Add the brisket to the pot with broth, soy sauce, liquid smoke, onions, and garlic.
- Pressure cook.
How Long to Cook Brisket in an Instant Pot
Cook the brisket for an hour and 15 minutes with a natural release of steam for 15 minutes. Do not quick release the steam. I never quick release the steam on meat, because it will make the meat tough.
How to Separate the Point From the Flat on a Cooked Brisket
Identify where the point meets the flat on the brisket. There’s usually a line of fat that separates the two. Start by cutting down into the fat. Keep lifting the flat as you cut to separate the two. You can check out more tips on How to Slice Brisket here.
How to Slice Brisket
Typically, brisket is sliced into slices about 1/4 of an inch thick. Slice against the grain the meat. The grain is the direction the meat fibers go in. Slice against it, to avoid drying out the meat.
How to Store Cooked Brisket
You can store the brisket, covered, in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to Reheat Brisket
Reheat sliced brisket in the oven or air fryer on 325 degrees. Drizzle the brisket with a little broth and/or BBQ sauce first. Reheat it until it reaches an internal temp of 145-160 degrees.
Reheating brisket in the microwave usually results in dry brisket.
Instant Pot Brisket Freezer Tips
- If you freeze the brisket whole, thaw it out, and then reheat it in the oven on 325 degrees. Cover with foil and reheat for about an hour.
- If you freeze the brisket in slices, thaw it out, and then reheat it in the oven on 325 degrees. Drizzle the brisket with a little broth and/or BBQ sauce first.
Serve With These Side Dishes
More Instant Pot Recipes
Juicy Instant Pot Brisket
- I like to keep the cap of fat on the brisket. I do not trim it because it helps add flavor to the beef. You can trim it if you wish.
- I like to cover and seal the brisket and marinate it in the refrigerator. Marinate for 2 hours to overnight, optional, but recommended.
- Add the sliced onions, garlic, broth, Liquid Smoke, and soy sauce to the pot.
- Place the brisket in the pot with the fat cap side facing up.
- Close the pot and seal. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes on Manual > High-Pressure Cooking. Ensure the pressure is on "Normal" mode if you plan to slice the brisket along the grain and serve it in slices. Place the pressure on "More" mode if you plan to shred the brisket. I use the Instant Pot Duo.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, allow the steam to release from the pot naturally for 15 minutes before opening.
- Open the pot and remove the brisket. Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the brisket along the grain. Drizzle with BBQ sauce if desired.
- Typically, brisket is sliced into slices about 1/4 of an inch thick. Slice against the grain the meat. The grain is the direction the meat fibers go in. Slice against it, to avoid drying out the meat.
- Always adjust the amount and rub and seasoning used to fit your taste. Add more or use less in accordance with your preferences.
- I have also prepared brisket in the Instant Pot by adding 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce to the Instant Pot along with 1/2 cup of broth. This added more BBQ flavor to the beef.
- You can also add a couple of tablespoons to 1/4 cup of brown sugar to the broth mixture, if you are looking for sweet flavor.
- Reheat the brisket in the oven. The microwave usually dries out the meat.
- For shredded beef, you can cook the brisket for the same amount of time, but use the “More” Pressure setting on the Instant Pot Duo.