Easy, Keto Low-Carb Homemade BBQ Sauce is the best sugar-free recipe for keto-friendly lifestyles. This recipe uses sugar-free ketchup, crushed tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, and herbs and spices to create the perfect sauce that is practically carb-free!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post was originally written in December 2018. It has since been updated.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
I like in Kansas City, Missouri. We are very picky about our sauce here. It really has to have the perfect flavor profile.
Can I Eat BBQ Sauce on Keto?
Is BBQ sauce allowed? Yes. I have not found a store brand of BBQ sauce that is suitable and does not have added sugar. So I decided to create my own! If you use ingredients that do not contain added sugar, this sauce will work perfectly for the keto lifestyle.
How to Make Keto BBQ Sauce From Scratch
- Combine crushed tomatoes, unsweetened ketchup, sweetener, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, paprika, chili powder, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and 2 tablespoons of water in a saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cover the pan.
- Simmer for 5-8 minutes.
What Sauces are Low in Carbs?
The best low carb sauces are olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon, etc. I also have a Homemade Keto Ranch Dressing you should check out!
How to Thicken the Sauce
The crushed tomatoes used in this recipe will naturally thicken the BBQ sauce. If you would like your sauce a little thicker, combine 1 teaspoon of xantham gum with water and add it to the sauce.
How Long Will it Keep and Last in the Fridge?
I recommend storing it up to two weeks in the fridge. If you need it beyond that you can freeze it. Check out this post on How Long You Can Keep Opened Condiments.
Recipes to Make Using the Sauce
More Keto Sauce Recipes
Popular Keto Recipes
Click here for a complete listing of Keto Low-Carb Recipes.
Easy, Keto Low-Carb Homemade BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- ⅓ cup unsweetened ketchup I used Primal Kitchen Organic Ketchup
- ½ cup sweetener I used Swerve
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons water optional to thin the sauce if needed
- Place a saucepan on medium-high heat. Add all of the ingredients to the pan and stir.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir the sauce. I like thick BBQ sauce. If the sauce is too thick for your liking, add 2 tablespoons of water and stir. To continue to add an additional tablespoon of water until the sauce reaches your desired texture.