These Instant Pot BBQ Baby Back Ribs are the best, quick and easy pressure cooker recipe for grilled pork or beef ribs. These ribs are marinated with pork rub and are so juicy, they literally fall off the bone. Feel free to use spare, country-style, or frozen ribs if desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
This post was originally published on April 14, 2018. It has since been updated.
Be sure to check out my Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken, too!
I decided to give my Instant Pot a try at baby back ribs. The Instant Pot is really the king when it comes to producing juicy, succulent meat that falls off the bone. You should definitely check out my Tuscan Chicken Thighs and Chicken and Rice Drumsticks.
Now…before you comment and yell that ribs and BBQ have to be grilled, trust me I KNOW all about BBQ. I live in Kansas City. We have the best BBQ on this earth. I even used my favorite local marinade and sauce in this recipe.
How to Make and Cook Baby Back Ribs in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs.
- Place the ribs in the Instant Pot with a trivet, onions, and water.
- Pressure cook.
How Long to Cook Baby Back Ribs in Instant Pot
Cook the ribs for 25 minutes, with a 10-minute natural release of steam instead of the quick release.
Do You Have to Grill or Bake Instant Pot Pot Ribs?
After the Instant Pot you can grill or bake the ribs. Grilling these ribs yields amazing results and will also really give them that BBQ taste, but baking works just fine too! If you use Liquid Smoke and a BBQ marinade (I love McCormick’s Grill Mates BBQ Seasoning) you will get some of the BBQ flavor.
How to Make Spare or Country-Style Ribs Using the Instant Pot
Spare ribs will need more time to cook. Cook spare ribs for 45 minutes with 10-15 minutes of natural release of steam.
How to Cook Frozen Ribs in the Instant Pot
If using frozen ribs, cook them for 32 minutes.
Feel free to add as much BBQ sauce as you want. Sometimes, I eat ribs without the sauce. I believe the BBQ marinade should be so good, that BBQ sauce is optional.
Does it look like the meat is falling off the bone to you? I paired these with white bread (a BBQ staple), potato salad, and baked beans. It was scrumptious!
Be sure to check out step by step video instructions HERE!
Pin this recipe for later here.
Instant Pot Fall Off the Bone BBQ Baby Back Ribs
- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. (Refer to video). This is a thin layer that can be tough to remove. Sometimes it will peel right off. You can also cut it, and pull it off.
- Drizzle the liquid smoke over both side of the ribs.
- Season both sides of the ribs with the pork rub, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cup of water in the Instant Pot.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot. This is the metal basket that comes with the machine. This will keep the ribs from touching the bottom of the pot as they cook.
- Place the onion and the seasoned ribs on the trivet.
- Place the lid on the pot and seal. Cook for 25 minutes on Manual > High-Pressure Cooking.
- When the Instant Pot indicates it has finished, allow the steam to naturally release for 10 minutes instead of quick release.
- If you choose to bake the ribs, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the ribs from the pot. Brush the BBQ sauce onto the ribs.
- Bake or grill the ribs for 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve!