This Purple Sweet Potato Recipe shows you how to cook the potatoes by baking, boiling, or roasting. These make the perfect healthy side dish for any meal!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
What are Purple Sweet Potatoes
There are a couple of different types, and they are sometimes called yams. Stokes are what I usually see here in the US. They are actually grown in the US. Stokes have the purple exterior flesh.
There are other varieties that come from South America and Japan.
The sweet potatoes contain Anthocyanins that give it the purple pigment that’s also found in blackberries, blueberries, and red cabbage.
Typically, for whole foods, the darker and deeper the color, the higher the antioxidant levels. A study published in The Journal of Nutrition found consumption could lead to lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and reduced risk for heart disease.
They are also a great source of Vitamin C and potassium.
Where Do You Find Them
I don’t typically see them at standard grocery stores. Places like Sprouts and Whole Foods typically have them.
Can You Eat the Skin? Do You Have to Peel Them
Yes, you can eat the skin. You don’t have to peel them if you don’t want for something like roasted potatoes or fries.
What Do They Taste Like
They have a rich nutty flavor and super creamy texture. I find these don’t need much salt, as typically necessary for russet potatoes.
How to Store Them
Store the potatoes in a cool, dry place. They will usually need to be eaten within 1-2 weeks.
How to Air Fry Them
Air fry them on 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until soft.
How to Bake Them
These usually take longer to bake than standard sweet potatoes. You will usually need longer than an hour, maybe an hour and half depending on size. Bake on 400 degrees.
How to Boil Them
To boil, place the sweet potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover the sweet potatoes. Bring the water to a boil on medium-high heat. Cook for 30-40 minutes or until they are soft.
Ways to Cook and Use Them
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
More Potato and Side Dish Recipes
Air Fryer French Fries
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes Au Gratin
Sweet Potato Cornbread
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar
Creamy Ranch Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Ranch Potatoes
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Garlic
Purple Sweet Potato Recipe
- 2 purple sweet potatoes Mine weighed about 4 ounces each.
- cooking oil spray I use olive oil.
- salt and pepper to taste
Air Fryer Instructions
- Rub the sweet potatoes with olive oil. I use this oil spray bottle from Amazon and spritz both sides and rub the oil in. Optional to sprinkle salt over the sweet potato.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket. Air fry on 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft. Check if the sweet potatoes are finished by piercing it with a fork to ensure it's soft.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub the sweet potatoes with olive oil. I use this oil spray bottle from Amazon and spritz both sides and rub the oil in. Optional to sprinkle salt over the sweet potato. (You can also wrap the potatoes in foil if you wish).
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Bake for 60-90 minutes or until soft. Check if the sweet potatoes are finished by piercing it with a fork to ensure it's soft. Timing will vary based on the size of the potatoes you have.
- Place a large pot of water on the stove on high heat. Ensure the sweet potatoes will fit in the size of the pot you are using. You may need to trim them down. Use enough water to completely submerge the sweet potatoes.
- Boil for 30-40 minutes or until they are soft.
- Optional: Place them in a bowl of cold water for 5-8 minutes to remove the skin easily.