Instant Pot Jamaican Jerk Chicken Thighs is a quick and easy pressure cooker recipe for Carribean jerk chicken with spicy marinade.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Thighs are just one of many wishlist items I have had on my radar to try with my Instant Pot. A couple of months back, I attended our annual Ethnic Enrichment Festival here in Kansas City. This event showcases over 60 different cultures from around the world. Each showcases their food, crafts, and ethnic dances.
The Jamaican tent is one of my favorites to visit. It is usually my first stop because it appears to be everyone’s favorite. It is always packed with long lines!
I always order the jerk chicken with rice and peas. During my visit this year, I started thinking….I need to make my own jerk chicken. After all, I am a foodie, who also blogs about food!
Jerk chicken is typically prepared on the grill. I LOVE my grill. I am often asked for recipes with alternatives to grilling. Not everyone owns a grill, some live in residences with restrictions or may simply be intimidated. As a result, I came up with an alternative….hey Instant Pot!
The Instant Pot ALWAYS delivers juicy meat for me. I even used it to sear the steak for my Instant Pot Steak Tacos. I have always grilled my steak for these tacos in the past. One experiment with the Instant Pot showed me, that I can improvise and still get amazing results.
Don’t have a grill or an Instant Pot? There are so many other ways to prepare this recipe. It is loaded with flavor, especially if you marinate overnight. You can cook the chicken in a slow-cooker on low for 8 hours. You can pan sear the chicken over the stove and then bake. You really can do what works best for you.
Traditional jerk chicken uses scotch bonnet peppers. They can be extremely hard to find. Habanero peppers are the closest substitute. Both of these peppers are HOT! Be careful during handling, if you decide to chop the peppers. I threw the habanero right into my blender, which is great because there is no contact with the inside of the pepper.
You can substitute jalapenos if you prefer something with less spice. I don’t feel like this recipe is “spicy.” Using one pepper for 4 pieces of chicken really balances it out.
More Instant Pot Recipes:
Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice Sweet Potato Soup
Instant Pot Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Instant Pot Starbucks Gingerbread Latte
Instant Pot Skinny Pumpkin Spice Latte
Instant Pot Low-Carb Pumpkin Spice Bread
Instant Pot Lasagna
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs Using the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken and Spanish Rice (Arroz Con Pollo)
Instant Pot Cheesecake
Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
Instant Pot Steak Tacos
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowl with Quinoa
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
Instant Pot Jamaican Jerk Chicken Thighs
- 1 habanero Chopped. Authentic Jerk uses scotch bonnet peppers. If you have access to these, feel free to use them. Habanero is a close substitute
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce Can substitute liquid aminos or coconut aminos.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 green onions (scallions) Chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger You can use 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 garlic cloves Minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 chicken thighs I used bone-in.
- 2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning I used Tony Chachere.
- Combine all of the ingredients (except for the olive oil and chicken) in a blender. Blend well for about 30 seconds.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- Place the chicken in a Ziploc bag. Drizzle 1/2 of the marinade over the chicken in the bag.
- Seal the bag tightly. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight, to marinate.
- Pour the olive oil into the Instant Pot.
- Place the Instant Pot on the Saute function. Brown both sides of the chicken for 4-5 minutes total.
- Drizzle the remaining marinade over the chicken.
- Close the Instant Pot and Seal. Cook on Manual/High-Pressure Cooking for 14 minutes.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, quick release the steam.
- Cool before serving.