This Jalapeno Popper Bacon Hasselback Stuffed Chicken is a quick and easy, healthy recipe with baked chicken breasts smothered in bacon, cream cheese, and cheddar. You can even load up on the filling and create an amazing casserole or dip!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
I first made this recipe years ago. I’ve since updated the recipe and I have totally fallen back in love with it! This dish is perfect for meal prep! Be sure to pair it with my favorite side dishes noted below.
What Type of Chicken to Use
Skinless chicken breasts will work best because they are easy to stuff and are usually the perfect size. I don’t recommend chicken thighs because they are fattier and juicier. This actually doesn’t work well for stuffing. The thighs will fall apart.
What is Hasselback?
The name Hasselback comes from a restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden, named Hasselbacken. This is where the recipe for Hasselback potatoes was introduced. It sounds like a complicated process, but it’s actually easy. You simply cut slices through the top of the food (chicken, potatoes, etc) without slicing through the bottom.
How to Make Jalapeno Chicken Poppers
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Combine cream cheese, crumbled bacon, chopped jalapenos, shredded cheese, fresh lime, and green onions in a bowl. Stir.
- Slice into the chicken. For hasselback stuffed chicken you will make several horizontal slits into the chicken breast. Cut about ⅔ of the way through the breast and careful not to slice completely through the breast. You can also make a side pocket cut on the side and stuff the chicken that way. That method is illustrated in my Keto Spinach Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken recipe.
- Stuff the cream cheese mixture into each of the slits.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken and add shredded cheddar to the top of the breast. Bake until the cheese has melted.
- Turkey Bacon
Additional Veggies and Cheese to Stuff
- Sundried Tomatoes
- Bell Peppers
- Gouda Cheese
- Provolone Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
How Many Carbs
This recipe has 3 net carbs per serving.
How Many Calories
There are 291 calories per serving in this hasselback chicken. The recipe calls for 2 chicken breasts, about 1 ½ pounds total. One serving is ½ of 1 chicken breast.
What Temperature to Bake
I like to bake the chicken on 400 degrees. Use a meat thermometer because the cook time will vary based on the size and weight of the chicken breasts. You should cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
What to Serve with the Chicken
Purple Sweet Potato
Roasted Ranch Potatoes
Air Fryer Asparagus
Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
Air Fryer Glazed Carrots
Creamy Ranch Mashed Potatoes
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
Keto Broccoli Salad
Keto Zucchini Noodle Pasta Salad
Balsamic Green Bean Salad
Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
More Main Dish Recipes
How to Store the Dish
I like to store the chicken in glass Tupperware in the fridge for up to 4 days. I love to meal prep and cook my meals in advance. Chicken can dry out, as you may already know. To keep the chicken juicy and moist, I squeeze fresh lime onto the chicken each day when I reheat it.
You can freeze the chicken tightly sealed and covered for up to 2 months.
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Breast
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken breasts
- 3 slices cooked and crumbled bacon I used 2 slices of bacon in the filling for the chicken and I used 1 slice to garnish the chicken when it finished cooking.
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/4 cup used to stuff the chicken, and 1/4 cup used to sprinkle over the top of the chicken
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh green onions Finely chopped
- ½ – 1 whole jalapeno Finely chopped, The more jalapeno you use, the spicier the dish. 1/2 jalapeno is very mild.
- Chicken Rub or Seasoning to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl and in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften. Combine cream cheese, crumbled bacon, chopped jalapenos, mozzarella, 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar, fresh lime, and green onions in a bowl. Stir.
- Season one side of each chicken breast and then flip the breasts over.
- Slice into the chicken. For hasselback stuffed chicken you will make several horizontal slits into the chicken breast. Cut about ⅔ of the way through the breast and be careful not to slice completely through the breast. Make even slits, this will allow the chicken to cook at an even, consistent temperature.
- Stuff the cream cheese mixture into each of the slits. Season the top of the chicken breasts with the chicken seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until it reaches a temperature of about 140 degrees. Use a meat thermometer. The chicken is not done yet. At this time, you will add the remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle it on top of both chicken breasts.
- Return the chicken to the oven. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Feel free to garnish with crumbled bacon and jalapenos.