This Air Fryer Cod Fish Sandwich recipe is quick and easy to make using fillets breaded with panko and topped on a brioche bun with melted cheese, pickles, and tartar sauce. Cut the fat and make this healthy dish right at home.
This post is sponsored by Primal Kitchen. All opinions are my own.
One of the things I love most about recipe blogging is lightening up all of my favorite foods I have eaten my whole life. I love to turn those dishes into recipes you can make right at home with less fat and less sugar.
Most fish sandwiches are deep-fried in oil and then slabbed with tartar sauce loaded in sugar. You would be surprised by the amount of added sugar found in everyday condiments like ketchup, BBQ sauce, and tartar sauce.
How does it taste? It’s creamy and tangy, and has just the right amount of dill! It’s also sugar-free and 2 tablespoons has less than 1 gram of carbs. Feel free to lay it on thick as I do!
You can do a lot with an air fryer. Many don’t know you can use it to fry fish. Don’t have one? I include instructions on how to bake it as well.
What Type of Fish to Use
In general, any skinless, mild white fish will work well for this recipe. I love to use cod, it’s pretty easy to find at most stores. You can something like pollock or flounder as well.
How to Make Air Fryer Fish Sandwiches
- Set up a cooking station. Add flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a bowl large enough to dredge the fish.
- Add egg, mayo, and lemon juice to a separate bowl large enough to dredge the fish. Beat the egg and combine the ingredients.
- Add panko breadcrumbs to a separate bowl.
- Dredge the fish in the flour, then the egg mixture and then the breadcrumbs and place the fillets in the air fryer basket.
Air Fryer Temperature
I recommend 400 degrees.
How Long to Cook/Cook Time
I cook the fillets for 8-10 minutes or until the fish is crisp and has turned golden brown.
Can You Use Frozen Fish?
I prefer to use fresh fish, but I have found that frozen fish is easier to bread. White fish is very delicate. You have to be careful while handling, to ensure it doesn’t tear.
You can use frozen, but watch it closely. You will only need to add an additional few minutes of cook time. Be sure the breadcrumbs don’t over-brown by checking in and watching the fish fillets closely while they cook.
How to Bake
You can bake the fish on a parchment paper lined sheet pan for 10-12 minutes on 425 degrees until golden brown and crisp.
Sandwich Topping Ideas/What to Put on a Fish Sandwich
- Primal Kitchen Tartar Sauce
- Sliced Onions
- Sliced Tomatoes
How to Reheat
You don’t want to microwave these. That will make the breading soft and it won’t taste as good. Reheat the fish in the air fryer or in the oven. Use 350 degrees for both methods until the fish has crisped and is warm.
You can spritz it with a little more oil if you are having trouble getting it to crisp.
What to Pair with the Sandwiches
More Air Fryer Fish and Seafood Recipes
Air Fryer Crispy Fish Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon mayo
- 10 oz cod fillets Sliced in half to make 2 fillets.
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- cooking oil I use olive oil.
- 2 buns I use brioche.
- Primal Kitchen Tartar Sauce
- Set up a cooking station. Add the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a bowl large enough to dredge the fish.
- Add the egg, mayo, and lemon juice to a separate bowl large enough to dredge the fish. Beat the egg and combine the ingredients.
- Add the panko breadcrumbs to a separate bowl. Keep a moist towel nearby. Your hands will get sticky
- Dredge the fish in the flour, then the egg mixture and then the breadcrumbs.
Air Fryer Fish
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil and place the fish in the basket.
- Spritz the top of the fish with cooking oil.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes on 400 degrees until crisp and golden. I did not flip the fish. If you wish to flip yours do so at 5 minutes and then continue to air fry until crisp and golden.
- White fish is really tender and delicate. Be careful if you flip the fish and while handling it when removing it from the air fryer. I like to use a silicone spatula to make this easier.
Oven Baked Fish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the fish on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Nutrition facts assume brioche bun is used.
- Using a lettuce wrap instead of a bun will modify the macros as follows: Cals:218 Net Carbs:7G, Fat:12G Protein: 22G
- You can substitute crushed pork rinds for panko breadcrumbs and eliminate the flour for a low carb substitute.
- You can omit mayo if you wish. It’s added for flavor.