Easy, Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups is the best recipe for veggie rolls stuffed with ricotta, cream cheese, and meat. This dish is low carb and keto-friendly and smothered in marinara and gooey melted cheese. You can serve this cheesy meal with zucchini noodles if you prefer.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
Who says lasagna is off-limits if you want to ditch the carbs? This recipe replaces standard lasagna pasta noodles with zucchini. It is a great way to sneak in a nutritious green vegetable. This dish is also perfect for meal prep, weeknight dinners, and freezer meals.
If you need a good zucchini breakfast dish to pair, check out my Keto Low Carb Zucchini Bread.
How to Slice Strips for Zucchini Roll Ups
Place the zucchini horizontal on the mandolin to slice.
How Do You Make Ricotta for Zucchini Roll Ups
For the filling for the rolls I use ricotta, cream cheese, basil, an egg, and Italian Seasoning.
How to Make Zucchini Roll Ups
- Slice the zucchini using a mandolin.
- Allow the zucchini to rest and drain excess water.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet with onions and garlic.
- Line a baking dish with Rao’s Marinara.
- Combine ricotta cheese, an egg, cream cheese, basil, Parmesan, Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper in a bowl with the cooked ground beef.
- Spoon the mixture onto the zucchini slices and roll.
- Place the roll ups in the baking dish.
- Cover with additional Rao’s Marinara and mozzarella cheese.
Carbs in Zucchini
1 cup of zucchini has 4 total carbs, and 3 net carbs. The carbs are relatively low.
Why Is My Lasagna Watery?
You will need to allow the zucchini to release excess moisture before cooking. I salt the zucchini and allow it to rest on paper towels for 30 minutes. You can read more about How Do You Make Sure Lasagna is Not Watery here.
You can freeze the lasagna for up to 3 months. Thaw completely, before reheating.
Be sure to check out my zucchini recipes like Keto Low Carb Zucchini Noodle Shrimp Alfredo, Keto Low Carb Mediterranean Shrimp Zucchini, Zucchini Noodle Pasta Salad, and Keto Low Carb Taco Zucchini Boats.
More Keto Low-Carb Recipes
Click here for a complete listing of Keto Low-Carb Recipes.
Easy, Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
- 3-4 pounds zucchini (about 3-4 zucchini)
- 1 pound ground beef I use organic, grass-fed.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning 1 teaspoon for the ground beef and 1 teaspoon for the ricotta mixture
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan Reggiano cheese
- 3 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Rao's Marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Remove Excess Water From the Zucchini
- Place the zucchini strips on paper towels or cheese cloth. Sprinkle kosher salt throughout. Allow the zucchini to stand for 30 minutes and sweat out excess moisture. After 30 minutes, squeeze the zucchini to remove excess water.
- Place a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and ground beef to the skillet.
- Season the beef with 1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Break down the ground beef into small chunks. I like to use this meat chopper.
- When the ground beef is no longer pink, add the garlic and stir.
- Remove the skillet from heat and drain any excess fat.
- Add 1 cup of marinara sauce to the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Spread throughout.
- Place the beaten egg, ricotta cheese, cream cheese, parmesan reggiano, basil, 1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Add in the ground beef mixture and stir.
- Spread the ricotta and ground beef mixture onto each of the zucchini slices. Place the mixture at the bottom of each zucchini strip. Focusing on the bottom will make them easier to roll. Then roll them up and place them in the baking dish.
- Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of marinara over the roll-ups and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese bubbles.
- Makes 26-30 total zucchini rolls.
- If you find the zucchini is hard to roll you can pan sear them for a few minutes or grill them first, to get them to soften up. I found it was easy to roll them without first cooking them.
- While rolling the zucchini, some of the filling may ooze the sides, I pushed this back inside and continued to mold the roll-up. You can secure the roll ups with toothpicks if you wish.
- Zucchini is a vegetable filled with lots of water. It’s impossible to remove all of the water from the veggie. Allowing it to sweat out moisture using salt, and sitting for 30 minutes will help a ton.
- You can substitute or omit the ricotta cheese with anything you choose if you wish.