Easy Keto Low Carb Beef Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats is a quick, healthy recipe with ground beef, homemade taco seasoning, and cheese that is perfect for Mexican Taco Tuesday. These zucchini tacos are low-calorie and low-carb. Use ground turkey as a substitute if you wish.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post was originally shared on June 30, 2018. It has since been updated.
Are you trying to follow a keto lifestyle, but struggling to celebrate Taco Tuesday? Well pull up a chair and grab your grocery list! This recipe is certainly for you.
One of the things I love most about the keto lifestyle is that you don’t have to leave behind all of your favorite foods and dishes! I feel like I can flip pretty much any high carb dish into something with a lot fewer carbs, while not compromising at all on taste.
Last month I shared a recipe for Keto Shrimp Alfredo Zucchini Noodles. I used my spiralizer and it was amazing! I have been getting a lot of great feedback from you guys on that dish!
How to Make Stuffed Taco Zucchini Boats
- Trim the zucchini and cut each in half horizontally. Scoop the flesh from the center and remove it.
- Add onions and garlic to a skillet with ground beef or ground turkey. Season the meat. Cook until no longer pink.
- Top the zucchini boat with the meat mixture. Bake.
- Finally, the baked tacos are topped with all of your keto-friendly favorites. YUM! Don’t get stingy here! If it’s keto-friendly then pile it on and enjoy!
How Long to Cook and Bake
Bake the zucchini boats for 20 minutes, until the zucchini has softened and the cheese has melted.
How Many Carbs in Zucchini?
One whole zucchini has 4 net carbs.
What to Serve with the Zucchini
What to Do If Your Zucchini Boats are Too Wet
Zucchini is naturally a vegetable that holds a lot of water. You can sweat out access water by placing the zucchini on a flat surface with paper towels and salt the zucchini. It will sweat out a lot of moisture, but not all.
I love to make this using my Homemade Taco Seasoning.
Keto Low Carb Beef Nacho Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 3 whole zucchini, sliced lengthwise to form 6 boats
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning Use your judgment for how much taco seasoning you wish to use. Some brands may be saltier than others. Season to taste. Refer to cooking note below on tips on how to make your own seasoning.
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (add to ground beef) You can also use taco/Mexican flavored cheeses
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (sprinkle over the boats) You can also use taco/Mexican flavored cheeses
- 1 jalapeno chopped optional, if you prefer spicy
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim the ends of the zucchini. Then cut the zucchini in half horizontally.
- Scoop and remove the flesh from the center of the zucchini so that you can stuff the zucchini with ground beef. Be careful not to scoop out too much. The zucchini should resemble boat form.
- You can choose to discard the zucchini flesh or add more veggies to you nachos! Chop up the removed zucchini flesh and set aside.
- Place a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef, reserved zucchini, taco seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the ground beef is no longer pink.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the ground beef. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Place the zucchini boats in a baking dish.
- Load the ground beef mixture evenly into the zucchini boats.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese on top and throughout.
- Bake for 20 minutes (uncovered) until the zucchini softens and the cheese has melted.
- Remove the boats from the oven and load them up with toppings: sour cream, black olives, avocado, jalapenos etc. Sprinkle cilantro throughout.