Easy, Instant Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili is the best, quick pressure cooker recipe with white beans and cream cheese. You can top it with salsa verde, avocado, or any shredded cheese. You can also use dried beans or frozen chicken breasts if preferred.
This post was originally published in 2019. It has since been updated.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
White chicken chili is a great comfort food dish for fall and winter. I have been eating this dish for years. If you don’t have an Instant Pot check out my other chili recipes listed below.
The best way to keep this recipe on the healthy side and Weight Watchers friendly is to make sure you go easy on the dairy. Dairy products can be loaded in fat, and sometimes (not always) the low-fat options have increased sugar. Be sure to read your nutrition labels carefully and keep your portions moderate.
How to Make Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Saute garlic and onions in the Instant Pot until soft.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, chicken breasts, beans, Better than Bouillion, and spices to the pot.
- Pressure Cook.
- Open the pot and shred the chicken.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot with cream cheese, frozen corn, and salt and pepper.
- Top with shredded cheese.
Cook Time/How Long to Cook
You will cook the dish for 20 minutes on Manual Pressure and then allow steam to release naturally for 10 minutes.
Can You Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts. The cook time will remain the same, but the pot will take longer to come to pressure.
How to Use Cooked Chicken
If using cooked chicken, you don’t need an Instant Pot. Saute the onions and garlic and add the ingredients to a soup pot using half of the chicken broth noted in the recipe. Add in more broth if needed.
I love to freeze chili and soup in these soups molds from Amazon. I reheat them overnight in the fridge or I use this portable CrockPot warmer from Amazon and reheat from frozen. It takes a couple of hours.
How to Thicken the Chili
I use cream cheese in this dish and that gets it nice and thick. If the texture isn’t thick enough for you, you can reduce the amount of broth used in the recipe.
Topping Ideas and What to Serve with the Dish
- Shredded Cheese
- Salsa Verde
- Sour Cream or Plain Non-fat Greek yogurt
- Cooked and Crumbed Bacon
What to Serve with the Chili
More Chili Recipes
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
Instant Pot Chicken, Seafood, and Sausage Gumbo
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup with Spinach
Easy, Instant Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup onion
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (1 pound total)
- 1 15.5 oz canned navy beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15.5 oz canned Great Northern beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15.5 oz canned diced tomatoes and chilis drained
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn I used frozen
- 1 cup shredded Colby and Monterrey Jack cheese
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Flavor
- McCormick’s Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (if spicy is preferred)
- salt and pepper to taste I like to wait until the dish has been prepared to add salt and pepper. That way I can taste repeatedly and adjust accordingly. This results in making sure the dish isn’t too salty. You can always add more, you can’t take it back when you have used too much.
- Place the Instant Pot on the saute setting. Add the garlic and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until both are soft.
- Add the chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Next add the chicken breasts, beans, diced tomatoes, Better than Bouillon and all of the seasonings (I reserve the salt and pepper until the end).
- Close the pot and seal. Cook on Manual High-Pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes instead of quick release.
- Open the pot and remove the chicken breasts. Shred the breasts using a knife and fork. Return the chicken to the pot.
- Place the Instant Pot on the saute function. Add the cream cheese, shredded cheese, frozen corn, salt, and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the corn is soft and the cheese has melted. If you want creamier chili, add more cream cheese and/or shredded cheese.
- Serve in bowls and load it up with your favorite toppings: additional cheese, sour cream avocado, etc.
- If you choose to use dried beans, soak the beans in a large bowl of water overnight, first.
- If you use frozen chicken, the cook time will remain the same, but the pot will take longer to come to pressure.
- Feel free to omit the beans if you wish. The cook time will remain the same.
- You can substitute the chicken seasoning for 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.