Air Fryer Cornbread is a quick and easy recipe for homemade, fried bread from scratch. These baked muffins are soft and moist, you will rush to slather them in butter! You can use Jiffy box mix if you wish.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
I’m no stranger to making cornbread. You may also enjoy my Keto Low-Carb Cornbread and Southern Homemade Cornbread. Both recipes require the oven and use a cast iron skillet. It was time to give the air fryer a try!
How to Make Cornbread in Air Fryer
- Add self-rising cornmeal, salt and sweetener to a large mixing bowl. Stir.
- Add melted butter, buttermilk, and an egg. Stir.
- Pour the batter into silicone muffin molds and place them in the air fryer.
- Air fry.
Self-Rising Cornmeal Mix
Self-rising cornmeal is used in this recipe because it is already mixed with self-rising all-purpose flour (which produces AMAZING cornbread). I recommend you purchase your own, it’s available here on Amazon.
You can make your own by combining 2 cups of cornmeal, 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 3 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt. You can read more about How to Make Self Rising Cornmeal here.
Air Fryer Temperature
I like to use 330 degrees.
Can You Use Silicone Baking Cups or Paper Cups in an Air Fryer?
How to Reheat Cornbread
Reheat the cornbread on 350 degrees for 1-2 minutes until warm.
How to Store the Cornbread
Store the cornbread muffins in a sealable container or bag in the fridge for up to one week.
Freeze the muffins in a sealable container or bag. Defrost at room temperature before reheating.
Air Fryer Recipes to Pair with Cornbread
Southern Side Dishes
More Cornbread and Biscuit Recipes
More Air Fryer Baking Recipes
Click here for a complete listing of Air Fryer Recipes.
Air Fryer Cornbread
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sweetener or sugar Omit if you don’t like sweetened cornbread. Use Discount Code STAYSNATCHED to save on the sweetener I recommend.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter 1/2 stick melted
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Add the cornmeal, salt, and sweetener to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Next add in the egg, remaining butter, and buttermilk. Stir to combine.
- Be sure not to over mix the batter. Over-mixing will lead to large cracks in the crust and a lot of crumble. Only mix well enough to combine the ingredients.
- Place silicone baking molds in the air fryer. Pour the batter into each of the silicone muffin molds. Fill each mold 3/4ths full. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to cook in batches.
- Cook the cornbread muffins for 11-15 minutes on 330 degrees. Mine were ready at 11 minutes. Test if the cornbread has finished by inserting a toothpick into the center of a muffin and ensure the toothpick returns clean.
- You can make your own self-rising cornmeal by combining 2 cups of cornmeal, 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 3 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- You can substitute/make your own buttermilk if you wish by combining milk and vinegar (or lemon). Get instructions on How to Make a Buttermilk Substitute here.
- You can use both silicone baking cups or paper cups in the air fryer. The silicone cups are a lot more sturdy, and the muffins are so easy to remove! They are completely nonstick.
- You can use Jiffy box mix if you don’t wish to make homemade.
- My Low Carb Cornbread recipe will follow similar cooktime.