Easy Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup is a quick and healthy recipe that will solve your cravings for wings! This soup is loaded with Frank’s Red Hots Buffalo hot sauce and you can top it with blue cheese or ranch if you wish!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
If you are a fan of buffalo chicken wings, you are in the right place! Buffalo sauce is an amazing condiment and ingredient because it packs a great set of macros! It’s low calorie and is actually zero carb and has no added sugar!
Both of those are major wins for anyone following a health-conscious or low carb lifestyle.
What Type of Chicken To Use
I like to use skinless breasts, but you can use whatever type of chicken you want. You can cook the chicken using an Instant Pot or a Slow Cooker for shredded chicken.
You can cut the chicken into cubes and saute it on the stove if you wish.
You can also purchase a rotisserie chicken and shred it.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Heat olive oil and chopped onions in a soup pot or Dutch oven.
- When fragrant, add garlic and stir.
- Pour in chicken broth, Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cover.
- Simmer for 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Open the pot and add the cream cheese and sour cream.
- Stir to combine.
What Goes Well With Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Ranch Seasoning – or you can make your own using my Low Carb Ranch Dressing recipe, as the packets typically have additives
- Green Onions
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese Crisps or Tortilla Strips
How Long the Soup Will Last in the Fridge
The soup will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator, tightly sealed.
Can You Freeze the Soup?
Yes, you can freeze the soup for a few months. I like to use these convenient Freezer Soup Molds from Amazon. They are great for portion control and indicate portions for 1/2 cup or 1 cup.
Upon reheating, the dairy will separate from the soup and is normal. If you are planning to freeze large portions, you can also omit the cream cheese and Greek yogurt, and add it after you freeze and defrost.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
More Soup Recipes
Easy Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth to cook the chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken breasts You can buy precooked cubed or rotisserie chicken to use in the recipe if you wish.
- salt and pepper to taste
- McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth for the soup
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo sauce Add more buffalo sauce to adjust to taste. I've also used 3/4 of a cup and loved the bold flavor.
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
Buffalo Chicken Soup Topping Ideas
- shredded cheddar cheese divided
- green onions chopped optional
- crumbled blue cheese
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Add the chicken breasts, 1 cup of chicken broth, chicken seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
- Open and shred the chicken with forks.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Add the chicken breasts, 1 cup of chicken broth, chicken seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste to the Instant Pot.
- Cook for 10 minutes on Manual > High Pressure Cooking.
- When the pot indicates it has finished allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open the pot and shred the chicken.
Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Heat a large soup pot, I like to use a Dutch oven on medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil and onions. Cook until the onions are fragrant and translucent.
- Add in the garlic and stir.
- Add the chicken broth, shredded chicken, salt and pepper to taste, and Frank's Buffalo Sauce to the pot. Stir and then lower the heat to medium and cover.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Open the pot and add the cream cheese and Greek yogurt (or sour cream). Allow the cream cheese to melt and stir.
- Cool before serving.
- Saute the onions and garlic using the Saute Function on the pot.
- Add 4 cups of broth (omit the additional cup), the buffalo sauce, chicken breasts, and seasonings to the pot.
- Cook for 10 minutes with 10 minutes natural release.
- Open the pot and shred the chicken. Add the Greek yogurt and sour cream. Stir until combined.