Keto Low-Carb Cheeseburger Soup is a quick and easy one-pot dinner recipe. The ingredients include ground beef, cheddar cheese, cauliflower, and cream cheese. Load it up with crunchy bacon, pickles, and tomatoes if you wish. This healthy hamburger recipe is perfect for meal prep and leftovers.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
This post was originally published in 2019. It has since been updated.
Is cheeseburger soup keto and low carb? Most recipes call for potatoes. This recipe is prepared without potatoes and uses cauliflower instead.
There are 439 calories in this soup.
How to Make Cheeseburger Soup
- If you want to make this a one-pot meal, use a Dutch oven. Brown the ground beef with salt and pepper. Drain the beef and remove it from the pot.
- Saute onions and butter.
- Add in chicken broth, fresh cauliflower, Worcestershire sauce, Italian Seasoning, dried mustard, and garlic powder.
- Seal the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Open the pot and add shredded cheese, cream cheese, and heavy cream.
- Stir and serve.
How to Thicken
I like for my soups to be really thick. I use 2 ounces of cream cheese in this recipe and that helps.
I also use xanthan gum to thicken. Once the heavy whipping cream and cheese has been added to the soup. Place 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum and a couple of tablespoons of soup in a small bowl and stir.
The mixture will thicken. Stir until it’s no longer clumpy. Pour it into the pot and stir. The soup will thicken.
What Can You Use to Substitute Cauliflower?
You can substitute with radishes or omit the cauliflower.
What to Serve and Goes Well With the Soup
I love to load the soup up with toppings. This also helps with meal prep so the soup does not get boring day after day.
Cooked and crumbled bacon, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, chopped pickles, and shredded lettuce will work well.
You can also serve the soup with fresh Keto Biscuits.
- Cooked and Crumbled Bacon
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Sliced Avocado
- Shredded Cheese
How Long It Will Last in the Fridge
Store the soup in a sealable container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You can freeze the soup for up to 6 months, but because it has cheese and cream, the dairy will likely separate once frozen. In general, creamy soups with dairy aren’t the best to freeze if you want the texture to stay the same. You can read more about the Types of Soups You Can and Can’t Freeze here.
More Keto Soup Recipes
If you have tried my popular Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole, you will love this dish! You may also enjoy Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole, Keto Shrimp Alfredo, and Keto Low-Carb Bacon Egg and Cheese Casserole.
Keto Low-Carb Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 pound ground beef I use organic, grass-fed.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped, fresh cauliflower
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning I love to use a good amount, you can start with 1/2 a tablespoon and add more to fit your taste preference.
- 1 tablespoon dried, ground mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum Optional for thickening
- In a large soup pot, I use a Dutch oven, brown the ground beef on medium-high heat with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a meat chopper to break down the ground beef. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink. Drain the excess fat and set the beef aside.
- Add the butter and onions to the pot on medium-high heat. Cook until the onions are translucent and fragrant and the butter has melted.
- Uncover the pot and add the cooked ground beef, heavy cream, cream cheese, and shredded cheese. Stir.
- For thick soup: Scoop out a couple of tablespoons of the soup and add it to the bowl with the xanthan gum. Stir the mixture until its thick and no longer clumpy, then add the mixture back to the pot. Stir the soup. This will thicken up the soup.
- Cooked bacon, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, chopped pickles.
- I like to buy a block of cheddar cheese and grate it on my own. I don’t buy pre-shredded cheese because it has processed chemicals and does not melt as well.
- You can substitute cauliflower for radishes.
- If you would like more mustard taste, add more dried mustard and taste repeatedly.