These Buffalo Chicken Tenders are easy to make and seasoned with a homemade dry rub or ranch seasoning and then drizzled in spicy sauce. Pair these strips with any of your favorite side dishes. Pair it with our Air Fryer Baked Potato.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
What Type of Chicken to Use
I use actual chicken tenderloins. Tenderloins are far smaller than a chicken breast, and much thinner too. Tenderloins are half the size of a chicken breast. The chicken tenderloin is a strip of muscle distinct from but lying alongside the inner breast of the chicken closest to the bone.
Many people like tenderloins as they’re more tender than any other part of the chicken. This is because it’s a muscle that the chicken doesn’t use very often in comparison to its breast muscle.
You can also use chicken breasts and slice them into strips. Breasts are considered a lot healthier than tenderloins as chicken breasts are packed full of vitamins.
How to Season the Chicken
I love to use my Dry Rub For Chicken recipe which includes garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
I’m also a huge fan of pairing ranch with buffalo flavor. So I often season the chicken with my Homemade Ranch Seasoning. My favorite way is to season half of the chicken tenders with ranch seasoning and the other half with the dry rub.
What Sauce to Use
Buffalo sauce and hot sauce are not the same thing. Hot sauce is made with cayenne pepper, vinegar, and salt. Buffalo sauce is made with hot sauce, butter, and sometimes other ingredients. Buffalo sauce is much richer and smoother than regular hot sauce.
Your favorite buffalo sauce or buffalo wing sauce will work great in this recipe.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Tenders
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Season the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Bake or air fry the chicken.
- Drizzle the chicken in buffalo sauce.
How to Make Crispy Breaded Tenders
For breaded tenders, combine the spices with 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour (use additional flour if necessary) and coat the wings with the seasoned flour mixture.
Bake or air fry the tenders at the same temperature. Spray the tenders with cooking oil prior to cooking. This will ensure they crisp. There’s little to no change in cook time.
How to Store/How Long Will it Last in the Fridge
Leftover chicken tenders can be stored tightly covered for 3-4 days.
How to Reheat
I recommend reheating them in the oven or in the air fryer. You can reheat them in both the oven or air fryer at 350 degrees until warm. If you use the microwave if will soften the texture of the chicken.
Leftovers can be frozen tightly sealed and covered. Defrost the chicken overnight in the fridge. Follow the steps above for reheating.
What to Pair With the Tenders
More Buffalo Sauce Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- cooking oil
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
Option 1: Standard Chicken Seasoning
- Season both sides of the chicken tenders with the spices.
Air Fryer Method
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil. Place the seasoned chicken in the air fryer.
- Air fry for 8 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Open the air fryer and flip the tenders. Air fry for an additional 4-8 minutes at 400 degrees or until the chicken is crisp. Ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the tenders from the air fryer. Drizzle the tenders in buffalo sauce.
Oven Baking Instructions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place an oven-safe baking rack on a baking sheet or a sheet pan. Lightly spray with cooking oil/non-stick spray. (The baking rack will produce crispy tenders and is optional. You can use just the sheet pan with parchment paper if you wish).
- Place the seasoned tenders on the rack or sheet pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip each chicken tender. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the tenders from the oven. Drizzle the tenders in buffalo sauce.