These Easy Homemade Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips are healthy vegetable slices the whole family will enjoy. These veggie chips are soaked in water and then fried with bold seasoning.
If you are always looking for creative ways to sneak in more nutritious vegetables, these veggie rounds are perfect! Sweet potatoes are highly nutritious and a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They also promote gut health.
How to Slice the Sweet Potatoes
I use this mandolin slicer from Amazon because the key is to slice the sweet potatoes into equal slices. That way, the chips cook at a consistent and even temperature. Thick chips will take longer to fry than thin chips. If you have a mix of both you may end up burning the thin chips.
The best size for the chips is 1/8th of an inch. These will crisp up the best.
Why You Soak the Potatoes in Water
I soak the potatoes for 20-30 minutes after they have been sliced. This will remove excess starch from the potatoes and allow them to crisp up a lot of easier.
I have also made the chips without soaking them. This does work but typically requires a longer air fryer cook time. Use your judgment.
How to Make Sweet Potato Chips in an Air Fryer
- Slice the peeled sweet potatoes into slices 1/8ths of an inch thick.
- Soak the potato slices in cold water.
- Remove the slices from the water and dry completely.
- Season the slices and spritz with olive oil.
- Air fry.
Air Fryer Temperature
I recommend 400 degrees.
How Long to Cook/Cook Time
I like to cook mine for 15-18 minutes until the chips are golden brown in the middle and brown along the edges.
How to Get the Chips Crunchy
Using oil spray and the proper cook time is key here. Examine the chips throughout the cooking process to ensure proper cook time. Allow the chips to stand for 30 minutes prior to eating them so that they crisp up.
How to Store the Chips
The chips will be at their best if consumed the same day. You can also store the chips in an air-tight container for future use.
More Air Fryer Chips and Fries Recipes
Popular Air Fryer Recipes
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Microwave the sweet potatoes for 60 seconds to soften. This optional, but helps with the slicing process.
- Peel the skin off the sweet potatoes and slice them into slices about 1/8ths of an inch thick. I like to use a mandolin slicer. You can slice them however you wish, but thinner slices will crisp easier. You also want to make sure they are all about the same size so that they cook evenly in the air fryer.
- Soak the sweet potatoes in a large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. This will remove excess starch from the sweet potatoes and help with crisping.
- Remove the potatoes from water and dry completely.
- Spritz with oil and then sprinkle the seasonings throughout. Stir to combine.
- Place the sweet potato chips in the air fryer basket. Air fry the sweet potatoes for 7-8 minutes on 400 degrees.
- Open and shake the basket to move the chips around. Air fry for an additional 7-8 minutes or until they are crisp. If you have unevenly sliced chips you may need to remove the chips that are cooking faster than the others, and then allow the others to cook.
- You will know the sweet potato chips have finished cooking when they start to crisp and harden at the edges. This is when it's time to remove them from the air fryer to cool. They will harden a lot more during the cooling process. Then end result will be crispy, crunchy edges with a soft middle for each chip.
- If you have trouble getting the chips to crisp, use more oil. You should also take note of cook time. Cook the chips until the edges are crisp. You will need to allow them to cool for about 30 minutes in order to get the chips to fully crisp.
- Thick chips will take longer to fry than thin chips. If you have a mix of both you may end up burning the thin chips.
- Sweet potatoes can be really hard to slice. Be careful, and follow the tips on microwaving them to soften and use a mandolin for safer slicing.