Cooking turkey wings in the Crockpot doesn’t get much easier! A slow cooker is the best way to achieve juicy fall off the bone wings. Smother these in our gravy recipe if you wish!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
I have a lot of different turkey wings recipes, but I will say the Crockpot method of slow cooking them is my favorite! It’s the easiest way to get fall off the bone turkey. Simply dump a few ingredients along with your wings into your slow cooker, and come back to tender juicy turkey.
Why We Eat Turkey Wings
A lot of us don’t like to make a whole turkey. There are also many of us that do not eat all of the meat on the turkey. We all have our favorites! A recipe like this is perfect for smaller groups. A lot of people also complain turkey is dry! We all know wings aren’t. So these are absolutely perfect for any spread.
Where to Buy Turkey Wings
Some standard grocers will keep brands like Butterball and Jenni-O on hand year-round. Many retailers only carry them seasonally around fall. A local butcher is usually really helpful.
Do You Use Whole Wings or Split?
This is up to you. Split wings (split into drums and flats) will cook at a more even temperature. This is also better for even browning of the skin.
The wing is made up of 3 parts: the drumette, the wingette, and the wing tip. The drumette looks like a small drumstick and usually has more meat. It’s mostly dark meat, is slightly juicier than the wingette.
The wingette is often called the flat, is the middle section that is made of two bones running horizontally through the middle of it with meat in the middle. Because it’s thinner, this part normally crisps up easier when cooking them with the thicker drumette portions.
The wing tip doesn’t have much flavor, but you can save it if you plan to make homemade broth.
You can separate the wings yourself by cutting at the elbow joint to separate the drum from the wingette. From there you can remove the wing tip to display a flat if you wish.
How to Make Slow Cooker Turkey Wings
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Pat the turkey legs wings and rub both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle the spices throughout.
- Pour broth into the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the seasoned turkey wings over the broth.
- Slow cook.
Cook Time/How Long to Cook
These wings follow the standard slow cooker time frame, 8 hours on Low or 3-4 hours on High.
How to Tell When the Turkey is Done
You will need to use a meat thermometer. Insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of one the turkey wings. According to the USDA, Poultry must be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees.
How to Smother the Wings in Gravy
You will need to keep the turkey drippings from the Crockpot. This will add so much flavor to the gravy. You combine butter, olive oil, flour, smoked paprika, garlic powder, turkey drippings, broth, and heavy cream to make the best gravy. It’s super thick, rich, and comforting.
More Ideas on How to Season Them
- Homemade BBQ Seasoning and Rub
- Homemade Blackened Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning
Can You Use Turkey Legs or Drumsticks?
Check out my Slow Cooker Turkey Legs recipe.
Can You Use Chicken Wings?
Absolutely. You can also use chicken drumsticks. Be sure to test if the chicken is done by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest parts of one of the pieces of chicken. Chicken must be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
More Turkey Wings Recipes
Baked Turkey Wings
Smothered Turkey Wings
Air Fryer Turkey Wings
Smoked Turkey Wings
More Turkey Recipes
Traeger Smoked Turkey
Crockpot Slow Cooker Bone-in Turkey Breast
Slow Cooker Crockpot Boneless Turkey Breast
Air Fryer Turkey Legs
Air Fryer Turkey Breast
Cajun Spiced Roasted Turkey
Leftover Turkey Chili
Leftover Turkey Nachos
Leftover Turkey Wild Rice Soup
Turkey Bone Broth Recipe
Instant Pot Turkey Breast
Stuffed Turkey Legs
Turkey and Cheese Sliders
Pair these with our Squash Dressing, Slow Cooker Crockpot Black Eyed Peas, and Turkey Graving From Drippings recipe.
Slow Cooker Crockpot Turkey Wings
- 2-3 pounds turkey wings Whole or split.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Use enough to coat each wing.
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar or sweetener
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup broth I used chicken.
- Pat the turkey legs wings dry and rub both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle the spices throughout. Rub the spices into both sides of the wings. Ensure the spices completely cover both sides of the drumsticks. Add more spices if necessary.
- Pour the broth into the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the seasoned turkey wings over the broth.
- Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. (I prefer to cook them on Low for really tender turkey). Ensure the turkey reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer.
- Remove the turkey wings from the slow cooker. (Be careful! They will be tender and may fall off the bone.)
- For crispy skin, you can use either the air fryer (3-4 minutes on 400 degrees) or Broil in the oven for about 3-5 minutes.
Thursday 18th of May 2023
1st recipe to pop up on Google... did not disappoint
Friday 19th of May 2023
Yay! So glad to hear it.
Wednesday 5th of April 2023
Have made these several times and they always come out perfect. Always cook on low and do usually put in the broiler for three minutes or so. We love these!
Thursday 6th of April 2023
So glad to hear it!