Easy, Keto Low-Carb Biscuits and Gravy is the best country southern recipe with sausage gravy made with cream cheese, cream, and without xanthan gum. The biscuits are light and fluffy and baked with almond flour.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
Biscuits and white country gravy is a down-home staple. I’m a huge fan of turning my faves into southern keto recipes.
The biggest complaint I hear about meal prep and planning is that people are bored with eating eggs every day. They want fresh breakfast recipes and ideas. This dish won’t disappoint! It’s comforting and just what you need when you want to switch things up.
Is Gravy Bad for Keto?
Most gravy, including store-bought, is prepared using all-purpose flour or cornstarch to thicken up the gravy. Both have carbs and are not keto-friendly.
You can make your own and using ingredients like cream cheese or xanthan gum to thicken.
What Sausages are Keto Friendly?
Beware of sausage that has added sugar or maple-flavored. These added sugars will impact net carbs and macros. Always read the label of the sausage you purchase.
How to Make Keto Biscuits and Gravy
- Start by making the biscuits using almond flour, baking powder, salt, melted butter, and eggs. Always mix the dry ingredients first. Then add the wet ingredients.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and scoop 12 balls of dough onto the parchment paper.
- Wet your fingers and flatten the top of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add the sausage.
- Break down the sausage using a meat chopper and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the heavy cream and cream cheese. Mix until the cream cheese has melted and gravy thickens.
- Serve it over the biscuits.
How to Thicken Sausage Gravy
Can you use almond flour to thicken gravy? You can, but for this particular gravy, I like to let the cream cheese do the work. Almond flour can sometimes result in gravy that is grainy, even when you use blanched.
How do you use xanthan gum in gravy? Start with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon and mix it with a couple of tablespoons of the gravy mixture first. Then add it to the pot of gravy to thicken. For this recipe, I found xanthan gum is not needed. The cream cheese does a great job of thickening.
How to Store Keto Biscuits
The biscuits will last stored on the counter for a couple of days at room temperature. They will last up to a week in the refrigerator.
How Long Will Sausage Gravy Last in the Fridge?
The gravy will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container.
Keto Breakfast Recipes
Popular Keto Recipes
If you are looking for a brown gravy recipe, be sure to check out my Keto Brown Gravy.
Click here for a complete listing of Keto Low-Carb Recipes.
Easy, Keto Low-Carb Biscuits and Gravy
- 1 pound ground sausage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the almond flour, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the beaten egg and melted butter. Stir.
- Wet your fingers and flatten the top of the biscuits using your fingers.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the ground sausage and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Break down the sausage into smaller bits using a meat chopper. Cook for a few minutes until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Adjust the heat to medium and add in the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. Stir and cook for 3-6 minutes until the cream cheese has melted and the gravy thickens.
- Serve the gravy over the biscuits.
- I like really thick biscuits and gravy. If you prefer more gravy, feel free to add additional heavy cream or something like almond milk. You will have to consider adding additional cream cheese to thicken it up some.
- You can also use xanthan gum to thicken up the gravy. Add 1/4 teaspoon to a small bowl with a couple of tablespoons of the gravy. Stir until thick and add it to the gravy and stir until the gravy thickens.
- If you want cheddar biscuits you can add 1/3 cup of shredded cheese to the biscuit dough after you have mixed in the butter and eggs.
- For serving size, divide the gravy equally among the biscuits.