Easy Keto Low-Carb Hot Chocolate is the best, quick recipe to make your own homemade keto friendly mix using unsweetened cocoa, almond milk and sugar free sweetener. If you want a drink with no almond milk, substitute heavy cream.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
Winter is here and everyone is wondering how to add hot chocolate into a keto diet. Is Swiss Miss hot chocolate keto friendly? What about Starbucks?
Not at all. You are going to want to make your own carb-free mix. It’s actually really easy! I always happen to have the hot chocolate ingredients on hand in my home because they are super common.
Over the years, I’ve loved the hot chocolate recipe from Taste of Home. I have adapted the recipe to make it low carb.
Is Raw Cacao Powder Keto Friendly?
Absolutely. Raw cacao is made by cold-pressing un-roasted cacao beans. The process keeps the living enzymes in the cacao and removes the fat.
Raw cacao has some health benefits such as it lowers insulin resistance, reduces blood pressure, reduces risks of stroke, guards against toxins and many more.
Cocoa looks the same but it’s not. Cocoa powder is raw cacao that’s been roasted at high temperatures. Because it’s roasted at higher temperatures it does not have the same nutritional value as raw cacao, it also tastes better in my opinion.
You can read more about The Differences between Raw Cacao and Cocoa here.
Use whichever you prefer in this recipe.
How to Make Keto Hot Chocolate
- You can use a saucepan or a Dutch Oven. I like to use a Dutch Oven, especially if I am going to make a large batch. Heat it on medium-high heat.
- Add the chocolate chips and allow them to melt a bit.
- Pour in hot water, unsweetened cocoa, sweetener, and vanilla.
- Stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Lower the heat and add in almond milk and whisk.
How to Sweeten Keto Hot Chocolate
Are There Carbs in Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate
This drink has 2 net carbs per serving. Be sure to weigh your chocolate chips for accurate macros.
Keto Hot Drink Recipes
Keto Dessert Recipes
Click here for a complete listing of Keto Low-Carb Recipes.
Easy Keto Low-Carb Hot Chocolate
- 28 grams unsweetened chocolate chips This is less than 1/4 cup. I recommend weighing the chips for accurate macros.
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups unsweetened almond milk I recommend you start with 3 cups and taste the drink. If it's too sweet/too much chocolate, add another cup of almond milk.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon zero calorie sweetener
- Place a saucepan or pot on medium-high heat and add the chocolate chips.
- Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes until the chocolate chips have melted.
- Add in the vanilla and stir.
- Lower the heat to medium and add in the almond milk and whisk. Do not boil, heat until the hot chocolate reaches your desired temperature. Whisk for a few minutes until there are no clumps.
- Serve in mugs.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- Add the whipping cream to a mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer and mix for 2 minutes. Add in the sweetener. Mix until whipped cream forms.
- You can use any milk/milk alternative you wish.
- You can substitute heavy cream or a mix of cream and almond milk in the recipe if you wish.