These Sugar-Free Frozen Margaritas are so refreshing and made with fresh lime juice, tequila, and a sugar-free sweetener. These slushy cocktails are perfect for cooling off on a hot day. With the added bonus of being low-calorie, indulge in the classic tangy flavor of the perfect summer drink.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
There’s just something about spring and summer that increase my cravings for a frozen cocktail. As someone who hates overly sugary drinks, it’s often hard for me to find a frozen drink that I actually like.
Most restaurants load up their drink machines with syrup and sugar. It’s hard for me to consume 1/4th of their drink, let alone the whole thing! I love to make my own cocktails at home because I can directly control the ingredients.
- Frozen Fruit (I used strawberries)
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Sugar or Sweetener
How to Make Sugar Free Frozen Margaritas
- Add frozen fruit, tequila, lime juice, sweetener or sugar, and ice to a high powered blender.
- Blend until smooth.
How to Get the Drinks Thick
The more liquid you add, the thinner your margarita will be. I always recommend using frozen fruit. You can use fresh fruit, but you will likely need more ice.
When using fresh fruit for frozen drinks, be sure to use plenty of ice. Add plenty of ice to the blender to help thicken the margarita. As a general rule of thumb, use about 1 cup of ice for every 1 cup of liquid ingredients.
Make sure you have a powerful blender that can crush the ice and mix the ingredients together smoothly. A blender with high horsepower and sturdy blades is best for making frozen margaritas.
Additional Flavors and Substitutions
How Long they Will Last
You can store leftover cocktails in the fridge for 3 days. You can blend it again with more ice.
How to Make a Classic Margarita with No Fruit
You can substitute the fruit in the recipe for 1/4 teaspoon of orange extract. Triple Sec is used in classic margaritas, orange extract is a great sugar free substitute.
How Many Carbs
This frozen margarita has 4 net carbs.
Cocktail Recipe Tips
- Use a quality blender. I use my Instant Pot Ace Blender for these. A decent blender should work just fine.
- Add more ice to the mixture to thicken up the margaritas if you like them really thick.
- Try to avoid using fresh fruit (if you want thick margaritas). The frozen fruit will thicken up the cocktail.
- A mid-range priced tequila will work well in this recipe. I wouldn’t go cheap, but I also wouldn’t use a top-shelf brand since it will be blended with other ingredients.
- Keep in mind that as the drink melts, the tequila taste will lighten up. I like to add a little more tequila than normal for this purpose.
You can read more about the Common Mistakes When Making Frozen Cocktails here.
More Cocktail Recipes
Sugar Free Margaritas
Frozen Watermelon Margarita
Watermelon Margarita on the Rocks
Bacardi Rum Punch
Pair With These Recipes
Chipotle Pollo Asado
Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
Homemade Queso Cheese
Oven Baked Roasted Corn on the Cob
Sugar Free Frozen Margaritas
- 2 cups frozen strawberries If you use fresh fruit, your margaritas will be harder to thicken.
- 8 oz tequila Adjust to suit your preference.
- 1/4 cup sweetener
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice This was 3 limes for me.
- 2 cups ice Add more if needed to get the margaritas thick.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender. Blend until the mixture thickens.
- Taste the drink repeatedly to assess if it needs more tequila, sweetener, etc. To thicken the texture you can add more ice. If so you may need to add more tequila as well.
Nutrition (displayed with net carbs)
Saturday 9th of July 2022
I spotted this recipe through Instagram after taking the kids for a bike ride in 30C weather. I threw popsicles at the kids while I mixed up a pitcher! I didn’t have any sugar syrup but managed with the frozen fruit on hand (pineapple and some berries), limes, soda water, and ice. And tequila, of course! It’s the ratios that are important and these ratios are perfect for a thick and refreshing marg!
You can find me, sipping these, on my patio for the foreseeable future.
Sunday 27th of June 2021
Nice and refreshing for a hot summer day!!
Monday 28th of June 2021
So refreshing! I'm glad you enjoyed them.
Fitoru Keto Support
Tuesday 11th of August 2020
Tried this last weekend and it was really so good! I'm going to make this when I visit my brother's place later. I'm sure he's going to like this! Thanks a lot for posting!
Thursday 13th of August 2020
You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoy it!
Friday 3rd of July 2020
Made these tonight and they are DELICIOUS!!! Scaled the recipe down for 2 people and only had fresh strawberries, and they turned out great! Paired very well with out fajitas!
Friday 3rd of July 2020
Sounds amazing with fajitas!
Tuesday 16th of June 2020
These margaritas were fantastic.I made them for a couple friends and they loved them too. I made my own simple syrup with the monkfruit sweetener and it was so easy. I can't wait to try more of your recipes.
Thursday 18th of June 2020
I hope you enjoy the other recipes!