Easy, Keto Low-Carb Chicken Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a quick recipe that is perfect for meal prep and leftovers! This freezer-friendly dish is loaded with cream cheese to provide a large dose of cheesy, creamy goodness. You can even substitute with cauliflower. Are you a fan of chicken divan? You will love this dinner dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
It comes as no surprise to most of you, I love casseroles! My motto is quick and easy cooking. I also love to cook advance meals for meal prep purposes.
Casseroles are the perfect hack. It’s a great way to combine a variety of yummy foods into one dish. They are also great for freezing and reheating for leftovers.
Is Broccoli Keto Friendly? Can You Have Broccoli on Keto?
One cup of broccoli has about 3.5 net carbs. It is loaded with fiber and perfect for the keto diet and lifestyle.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Cut 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Cook the chicken in a skillet with onions and garlic. Remove and set aside.
- Create a roux using xanthan gum and butter. See notes on xanthan gum below.
- Add chicken broth, cream cheese, and heavy whipping cream. Stir.
- Add steamed broccoli to the mixture and then pour it into a baking dish.
- Add in the chicken onions, and garlic, and bake.
- Cool before serving.
What is Xanthan Gum and Why Is it Used in this recipe.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B0013JJZWG” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”staysnatched -20″ cart=”n”]Xanthan Gum[/easyazon_link] helps hold ingredients together (commonly used in baking) and is great to use as a thickening agent. You only need about a half a tablespoon for most recipes. Be sure to look for gluten-free xanthan gum as it will not contain wheat.
It’s used in this recipe to keep the casserole from becoming soupy. Using it will result in a thick, rich, and creamy meal.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B0013JJZWG” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”staysnatched -20″ cart=”n”]Xanthan Gum[/easyazon_link] is made by fermentation, it does not itself ferment. Many things are made by fermentation. In the case of[easyazon_link identifier=”B0013JJZWG” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”staysnatched -20″ cart=”n”]Xanthan Gum[/easyazon_link], sugars are digested by bacteria, and they excrete[easyazon_link identifier=”B0013JJZWG” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”staysnatched -20″ cart=”n”]Xanthan Gum[/easyazon_link].
I have only tested this recipe using xanthan gum. If you require a substitute I recommend that you research other possible alternatives.
Can Fresh Broccoli Be Used in this Recipe?
Absolutely, but I recommend steaming it first. Check out this post 3 Easy Ways to Steam Broccoli.
Can Cauliflower Be Substituted in this Recipe?
Yes. You can use steamed cauliflower similar to how steamed broccoli is used. You can even make more of a shepherd’s pie out of the dish and used mashed cauliflower.
Is Chicken Broccoli Casserole Freezer Friendly?
Yes. When I freeze casseroles I like to use foil pans. To defrost, I place the frozen casserole in the fridge for a day or so rather than reheating from frozen.
How Many Carbs are in Chicken Broccoli Casserole?
This dish has 4 net carbs per serving.
More Keto Casseroles:
Easy, Keto Low-Carb Chicken Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken breasts Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream I used a brand that has zero carbs.
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 15 oz frozen broccoli I used the packaged steamable kind to save time.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. When hot, add the olive oil, onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken cubes to the skillet and season with the chicken seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes, stirring and flipping the chicken until it is no longer pink on each side.
- Remove the chicken, onions, and garlic and set aside on a plate.
- Add the butter to the skillet on medium-high heat. Allow the butter to melt and then add the xanthan gum. Use a whisk and stir until combined. This will create a roux and the sauce should thicken.
- Pour in the chicken broth. Whisk to combine. Then add the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. Whisk. Lower the heat to medium and allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes until thick.
- When thickened, add the cooked, steamed broccoli and stir. Then pour the mixture into the casserole dish with the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese throughout the top.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until the cheese begins to bubble.
- Cool before serving.