Easy, Keto Low-Carb Chicken and Cheese Enchilada Casserole is a quick dinner recipe with no-sugar red sauce, cream cheese, sour cream, cauliflower, and taco seasoning. Best of all, this dish ditches the carbs and is prepared with no tortilla! You can turn this meal prep friendly dish into an enchilada bowl! Grab your skillet and get cooking!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
Hello Taco Tuesday! Your low-carb Taco Tuesday just got a little brighter with keto chicken enchilada casserole! So that you don’t miss the tortilla too much, I use mashed cauliflower in this recipe. Have you tried my Keto Garlic Cauliflower Mash?
What Do I Need For Chicken Enchiladas? What Do You Put Inside Enchiladas?
For this recipe, you will need cauliflower (I used a bag of frozen), chicken breasts, enchilada sauce, shredded cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream. You will also need cumin and chili powder for the taco seasoning. I like to use Trader Joe’s brand of red enchilada sauce because it doesn’t have any added sugar. You can also make Homemade Enchilada Sauce with this recipe.
How Do You Make Keto Low-Carb Chicken Enchiladas?
The key to this recipe is layers!
- Prepare the cauliflower mash.
- Prepare the shredded chicken.
- Combine the cheeses and seasonings in a skillet with the chicken.
- Layer the casserole starting with the chicken and cheese mixture.
- Next, add the cauliflower mash.
- Drizzle the enchilada sauce over the mash.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake!
Can You Freeze Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
Yes. I recommend freezing the casserole in these freezer molds from Amazon. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat.
Can You Have Tomatoes on Keto?
One cup of tomatoes have 6 grams of net carbs. In moderation, tomatoes should be fine for keto macros.
What Keto Friendly Toppings Can I Add to My Enchilada Casserole?
You can add olives, cilantro, avocado, jalapenos, black olives, authentic no-sugar added salsa and more. Be sure to check out my Homemade Guacamole and add that, too!
Easy, Keto Low-Carb Chicken and Cheese Enchilada Casserole
- 1 pound skinless chicken breasts You can also buy a rotisserie chicken and shred.
- 1 cup chicken broth (If using an Instant Pot or slow-cooker to cook the chicken)
- 16 oz frozen cauliflower (I used a steamable bag)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups (divided) shredded cheddar cheese (I used blocked cheese and shredded)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (if you prefer a kick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil spray (I used olive oil)
- 3/4 cup enchilada sauce I used Trader Joe’s no-sugar added sauce. See recipe notes below for instructions on how to make your own sauce.
- topping ideas: black olives, avocado, jalapenos
Shredded Chicken (there are a few options)
- Baked Method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken breasts on parchment paper and a sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 35 minutes or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer. Remove the chicken and shred with forks or knives.
- Instant Pot Method: Add the chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Next, add the chicken breasts and salt and pepper. Close the pot and seal. Cook on Manual High-Pressure for 10 minutes. When the pot indicates it has finished, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes instead of quick release. Remove the chicken and shred.
- Slow Cooker Method: Add the chicken broth to the slow-cooker. Next, add the chicken breasts and salt and pepper. Place the lid on the cooker. Cook on Low (8 hours) or High (4 hours). Remove the chicken and shred.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the cauliflower in the microwave according to the package instructions. Remove the cauliflower from the microwave and create a mash using an immersion blender or you can add the cauliflower to a high-powered blender and blend for 30-45 seconds until the cauliflower becomes soft and mashed.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat with olive oil. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions become soft and fragrant.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts.
- Add in the shredded chicken and stir.
- Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking oil. Create a layer of the chicken and cheese mixture.
- Next, layer on the cauliflower mash.
- Top with the enchilada sauce and 1 cup of shredded cheddar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese has fully melted.
- Allow the casserole to cool completely before slicing. If you cut into it too soon, it will feel like you are scooping out mush. This is a soft casserole in comparison to most casseroles. Keep that in mind, the top layer is mashed cauliflower. It will harden more as it stands and even more so after being refrigerated.