This Easy Keto Low Carb Beef and Broccoli is the perfect stir fry for weeknight dinners and meal prep. This Asian inspired dish uses juicy flank or sirloin steak to bring you take-out quality meals at home.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post was originally posted in 2019. It has since been updated.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
I am a huge fan of making my own take out meals at home. Beef and Broccoli is often on my order when I grab Chinese takeout. You would be shocked how easy it is to make at home!
What Type of Beef to Use
You want to use a tender cut of meat such as sirloin, skirt, ribeye, or flat iron. Sirloin tips or even stew meat will work well, too.
How to Make Keto Beef and Broccoli
I first like to marinate the steak. Marinating beforehand will give the steak so much flavor. You can use whatever cut of steak you like for this recipe, sirloin, skirt, etc. Pro tip, if you want to save time slicing the steak, purchase sirloin tips.
- Steam the broccoli in advance. You will want the broccoli to have the perfect texture. If you throw it in at the end, it will have stiff edges as opposed to soft.
- Combine the stir fry sauce ingredients.
- Cook the marinated steak until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer.
- Add in the stir fry sauce and broccoli.
- Remove the beef and broccoli and add the riced cauliflower. Cook until it becomes soft.
What Type of Sweetener to Use
To lighten up this recipe, I use golden monkfruit sweetener (to substitute sugar). These sweeteners are natural, zero-calorie, zero-carb, and won’t spike blood sugar. I love that sweetener doesn’t have an aftertaste.
If you use something like stevia, you can follow the standard method you use for converting refined sugar to stevia. Monkfruit sweetener measures 1:1 like refined sugar.
Do You Have to Marinate the Meat?
It’s optional but it does dramatically improve the taste and texture of the beef. Marinate for at least 1 hour to overnight.
Broccoli is a great vegetable for keto. One cup of broccoli has about 3.5 net carbs. 3 cups of broccoli are used in this recipe, that is divided among 4 servings.
Is Soy Sauce Keto Friendly?
If you are strict keto or following a keto lifestyle for inflammation, soy sauce may not work well. Some soy sauce brands contain histamine, which can cause inflammation.
From a net carbs, perspective, soy sauce will fit within keto macros. The decision to use it or substitute for liquid aminos is a personal decision.
Soy sauce is made from fermenting a grain, often wheat, with soybeans, water and salt. Liquid aminos are not fermented so they contain no alcohol and they are gluten-free.
You can read more about The Difference Between Soy Sauce and Liquid Aminos here.
How Long Will it Last in the Fridge
The dish will last (tightly covered) in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Freeze leftovers in an airtight container or bags for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge.
More Keto Recipes
You may also enjoy my Healthy Pad Thai recipe.
Easy Keto Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
- 1 pound steak (sirloin or skirt) Any steak tips will also work well.
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Steak Rub You can use your favorite steak rub.
- salt and pepper to taste
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Beef Base I prefer the flavor of Better Than Bouillon. You can also use 1/3 cup of beef broth and omit the 1/3 cup of water below.
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoon coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon zero-calorie brown sweetener
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger Fresh or ground.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced I used fresh
- 3 cups fresh broccoli, chopped You can also use frozen, steamable broccoli.
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups riced cauliflower I used frozen
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- crushed red pepper flakes (also for spicy)
- sesame seeds
- Slice the steak into thin strips.
- Season the steak with all of the marinade ingredients. Marinate in the fridge for at least an hour to overnight. The longer you marinate the steak, the more flavor it will have.
Steam the Broccoli
- While the steak marinates, boil an inch of water in a saucepan on high heat.
- Add the chopped broccoli to the saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and cover the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
Stir Fry Sauce
- Add the hot water to a medium bowl. Add the Better than Bouillon Beef base to the hot water. Allow it to sit for 1 minute and then stir.
- Add the liquid aminos (or soy sauce), brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger to the bowl. Stir.
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Heat the butter in a wok or skillet on medium-high heat. When the butter melts, add the marinated, sliced steak.
- Cook the steak, flipping it for 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add in the stir fry sauce and steamed broccoli. Stir and ensure the steak and broccoli are fully coated in sauce. Cook until the steak reaches an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees.
- Remove the beef and broccoli from the wok or skillet. Add the riced cauliflower to the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Remove the riced cauliflower and serve it alongside the beef and broccoli.
- Marinating the meat is optional but it does dramatically improve the taste and texture of the beef. Marinate for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- You can make your own steak seasoning using the following 1/4 teaspoon minced onions, 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon coriander.
- I used the frozen riced cauliflower from Trader Joe’s in this recipe. I allowed it to thaw some at room temperature while I prepared most of this dish.
- If you would like more stir fry sauce, you can add additional water and Better Than Bouillon Beef flavor. If you would like 3/4 cup of sauce (vs the 1/3 cup used in this recipe) use 3/4 cup water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon flavor.
- If you use frozen broccoli, steam it first.
- If you prefer a sweeter stir fry sauce, add more sweetener.