Easy, Instant Pot Black Beans (No Soak) is the best, quick electric pressure cooker recipe using dried beans to make Mexican, Cuban, or plain beans. This dish is perfect in a small batch or large and includes tips for the perfect water to bean ratio. Cooking beans doesn’t get much easier!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
I’m no stranger to making Mexican taco friendly recipes or beans using the Instant Pot! Be sure to check out my Instant Pot Steak Tacos and Instant Pot Baked Beans recipes. These black beans will pair wonderfully as a side dish. You can even stuff them inside your favorite burritos, enchiladas, and more.
Dried Beans Are Healthier Than Canned Beans
Dried beans can be a healthier choice because canned beans are typically loaded with added sodium. Some canned varieties also include chemicals, added sugar, or high fructose corn syrup.
Making your own can be very advantageous. Dried beans are also a lot cheaper than canned beans.
How to Cook Black Beans in the Instant Pot
- Add rinsed beans, water, broth, and seasonings to the pot.
- Seal and pressure cook the beans for 28 minutes.
- Allow the beans to naturally release steam for 20 minutes.
What is The Ratio of Beans to Water?
The water to bean ratio should include enough liquid to cover the beans. You can use water only, instead of a mix of broth if desired. The broth adds flavor.
Using 4 cups of liquid results in moderate liquid in the pot once the beans have cooked. There won’t be a ton of liquid, but the pot will also not be dry. I didn’t have to drain any excess liquid. If you like a lot of liquid with the beans add another cup or two of water.
How Long to Cook Black Beans
Cooking the beans for 28 minutes results in beans that are soft, but are not mushy. If you like firmer beans lower the cook time to around 20-22 minutes. If you like mushy beans, increase the cook time to 32 minutes or more.
How Many Cups is 1 Pound of Black Beans
One pound of dry beans is 2 cups. One pound of dry beans will produce about 6 cups of cooked beans
Black Beans Freezer Tips
You can freeze the beans for up to 6 months. I like to use sealable bags labeled using a Sharpie.
Easy, Instant Pot Black Beans (No Soak)
Optional Seasoning (if you want seasoned beans)
- Rinse the black beans well. Pick out any broken beans or shells.
- Add the rinsed beans to the pot with the water, chicken broth, and seasonings. There should be enough liquid to cover the beans in the pot. If you don't have enough liquid, add more.
- Close the pot and seal. Cook on Manual > High-Pressure Cooking for 28 minutes.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, allow the steam to release naturally for 20 minutes.
- Open the pot and remove the bay leaf and the beans. Cool before serving. You can serve with fresh lime and cilantro if desired.