This Easy Crockpot Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas recipe is made with tender, juicy chicken, peppers, onions, and homemade seasoning. This is a dump-and-go meal perfect for weeknight dinners. Serve these on warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
When you’re strapped for time throwing a few staple ingredients into the Crockpot is perfect for a simple and delicious meal!
What Are Fajitas?
Most fajitas are served grilled and sizzling! The meat and veggies are usually grilled and sliced into strips, this is what differentiates it from a taco. A taco includes vegetables that are diced and chopped and typically served raw and on top. Fajitas usually consist of meat, peppers, and onions. You can read more about the origin of fajitas here.
This recipe uses the slow cooker to make it perfect for make-a-head meals.
What Type of Chicken to Use
I use skinless chicken breasts. You can also use chicken thighs. Dark meat tends to have more flavor, is more tender, and will follow the same cook time noted in the recipe.
Feel free to grab a rotisserie chicken and/or use fully cooked chicken. If using cooked chicken combine the ingredients and heat/cook until warm.
Seasoning and Flavor
I love to use a variation of my Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe which includes smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper if you like a spicy kick.
You can also use a store-bought package if you like. I love to make my own because it’s cheaper and the store packs usually have added sugar and preservatives.
How to Make Slow Cooker Crockpot Fajitas
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Add chicken breasts, salsa, peppers, garlic, onions, and fajita seasoning to the slow cooker.
- Slow cook.
- Slice the chicken and return it to the pot.
Cook Time/How Long to Cook
Cook the fajitas for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
Can You Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
If using frozen chicken it typically follows the same cook time or will need additional time, up to around an hour.
- Sour Cream or Greek yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Fresh Lime
- Lettuce or spinach
How to Store
The dish will last for 3-4 days tightly sealed in the fridge.
How to Reheat
You can reheat leftovers in the microwave or on the stove on medium heat.
If you are planning to freeze the dish, I recommend assembling the ingredients ahead of time and freezing the dish prior to cooking. That way when you’re ready to cook it, everything has been prepped. I wouldn’t freeze leftovers.
Pair With These Recipes
More Slow Cooker Crockpot Recipes
Slow Cooker Crockpot Chicken and Rice
Slow Cooker Crockpot Turkey Breast
Slow Cooker Crockpot Chili Mac and Cheese
Slow Cooker Crockpot White Chicken Chili
Pulled Pork Sliders
Slow Cooker Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup
Sugar-Free Apple Butter
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
Crockpot Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
Crockpot Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups sliced bell peppers Sliced into strips. I like to use multi-color peppers.
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 2-3 garlic cloves Minced
- 2 cups salsa
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Chicken Fajitas are typically served in strips. For chicken that you can slice into strips, cook on High for 2-3 hours or on Low for 4-6 hours until the chicken is fully cooked.For shredded chicken, Cook on High for 4 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours.
- Open the pot and slice or shred the chicken if preferred. Return it to the pot and serve.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Close the pot and seal. Cook on Manual High-Pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes instead of quick release.
- Open the pot. Remove the chicken and shred if preferred. Add it back to the pot and serve.
- You can use chicken thighs in this recipe with no adjustment to cook time.
- Feel free to grab a rotisserie chicken and/or use fully cooked chicken. If using cooked chicken combine the ingredients and heat/cook until warm.