This Slow Cooker Crockpot Neck Bones recipe is a soul food dish cooked low and slow until the meat from the neck bones falls off the bone. Pair this with, potatoes, collards, and cornbread.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
🥓What Are Neck Bones
Pork neck bones are the meat and bone from the neck of a pig or hog. They have a small amount of meat on them and when simmered, the meat is tender and juicy. Neck bones are very inexpensive and are often served for Southern meals along with Southern Collard Greens and Southern Cornbread.
Neck bones are also great stocks, soups, and gravy. You can make bone broth using neck bones.
🛒Where to Buy Them and How to Purchase
Just like ham hocks, you may find packages of neck bones with little to no meat, which are mostly bones. Pay close attention and look for packages with meatier bones.
I find them readily available in local grocery stores. You can also check specialty markets, even some Asian grocery stores.
🥘How to Make Southern Pork Neck Bones
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Season the neck bones on all sides with spices.
- Add broth to the slow cooker. Add the seasoned neck bones, onions, and bay leaf on top of the broth.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Slow cook the neck bones until they are tender and fall off the bone.
Slow cook for 3-4 hours on High or 7-8 hours on Low.
How to Smother them in Gravy
You can save your neck bone drippings once the neck bones have cooked, and use it to make gravy. You can follow the steps from my Turkey Gravy with Drippings recipe.
How to Store Them
Cooked neck bones can be stored in the fridge tightly covered for 3-4 days.
You can freeze leftovers tightly covered and sealed. For best taste, they will last up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat.
Pair With These Side Dishes
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Crockpot Turkey Necks
Slow Cooker Crockpot Black Eyed Peas
Slow Cooker Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
Slow Cooker Chili Mac
Slow Cooker Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
Slow Cooker Crockpot Gumbo
Slow Cooker Crockpot Oxtails
If you want to cook these on the stove check out our Pork Neck Bones recipe.
Slow Cooker Crockpot Neck Bones
- Season the neck bones on all sides with the spices.
- Add the broth to the slow cooker. Add the seasoned neck bones, onions, and bay leaf on top of the broth.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Slow cook for 3-4 hours on High or 7-8 hours on Low.
- I like to cook the neck bones until they are tender and fall off the bone.