Easy Baked Beef and Cheese Empanadas Recipe for the perfect skinny, healthy appetizer loaded with ground beef and gooey mozzarella and pepperjack cheese. This recipe is quick to make using Goya empanadas wrappers. This Mexican and Puerto Rican dish is perfect for Cinco de Mayo and gatherings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
Click here to pre-order now!
Beef and cheese empanadas were my contribution to a bridal shower this past weekend. The theme for the shower was “Around the World” featuring cuisines from various areas around the world.
Calories: 180 Fat: 7G Net Carbs: 23G Protein: 8G
This is the brand I used.
As a bridesmaid, foodie, and self-taught chef 🙂 , part of my duties included providing a food dish and drink for the party. I have been dying to experiment with empanadas for quite some time now! I love the idea of savory meat nestled within a buttery, flaky crust!
I decided to pair the empanadas with Red Wine Champagne Sangria. In the best interest of time and preparation, I picked up pre-made empanada wrappers from a local grocery store.
An empanada is a stuffed bread or pastry found in many countries in Latin America or Spain. Empanadas are made by folding dough over a stuffing filled with meat, cheese, or other ingredients.
My favorite part of any recipe is adding the CHEESE!
I wanted both the empanadas and sangria to be fresh for the bridal shower. My Saturday morning schedule included cooking the empanadas, making the sangria, attend hot yoga class, get a manicure, and somehow get dressed and presentable for the party. YES! I’m such a girl! These pre-made wrappers were my saving grace! I brushed the wrappers with melted butter upon removing them from the oven. MMMMM….so good!
Beef and Cheese Empanadas
- 30 Goya Empanadas wrappers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2-3/4 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 cup green peppers chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp McCormick's Grill Mates Hamburger Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the garlic, green peppers, and onions to the skillet. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet. Season the beef with the seasonings. Using a spatula, break up the beef into small pieces. Cook the beef until browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Lay the empanada wrappers on a flat surface. Dip a cooking brush in water. Glaze each of the empanada wrappers with the wet brush along the edges. This will soften the crust and make it easier to roll.
- Load the ground beef mixture into each of the empanadas.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the ground beef. Close the empanadas. Roll the empanada in half. Pinch the crust along each of the edges. Roll each of the sides inward. Continue to twist the crust until closed.
- Add the empanadas to a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the empanadas from the oven. Melt the butter in the microwave for 20 seconds. Using a cooking brush, spread the melted over the top of each.
- Allow to cool before serving.