Leftover ingredients call for shrimp red pepper cream cheese empanadas. Last week I made Beef and Cheese Empanadas for a bridal shower. This was my first experiment with empanadas. The empanadas were a huge hit and were very well received.
I personally wanted the empanadas to have more of a creamy, cheesy goodness. So I got back into the kitchen to experiment, this time with shrimp. I used reduced-fat cream cheese this time and swapped out the green peppers for red. Red peppers pair so well with shrimp!
These are so quick and easy to make. Since I had leftover empanada wrappers from the weekend, I decided to whip these up on a weeknight after work. I RARELY cook on weeknights.
This recipe is pretty simple and can definitely be made on a weeknight with little hassle.
Calories: 196 Fat: 7G Net Carbs: 24G Protein: 13G
Fresh squeezed lemon is usually a must with shrimp dishes. It helps add additional flavor.
There are so many things to love about these empanadas. Let’s start with the buttery, flaky crust. I didn’t make my own crust for this recipe. You certainly can.
I found this Goya brand works perfectly. To ensure the empanada wrappers rolled easily, I dabbed a cooking brush in water, and used the brush along the edges of each wrapper.
After folding the wrappers, I used the cooking brush to add melted butter to each.
Now let’s move on to the creamy filling. I may be just a little obsessed with cream cheese. I love using reduced-fat cream cheese in many of my dips and stuffed chicken and fish recipes.
It always provides me the creaminess I am looking for within a recipe. It also pairs so wonderfully with flavored cheese.
I absolutely love how this recipe turned out!
These empanadas make the perfect, savory pastry treat! I am a savory food lover. I absolutely love savory treats. I am super particular with the desserts I like.
I don’t like most, but there are a few that I adore. I love desserts made with cream cheese. Dessert pastry empanadas next? Stay tuned.
Pin me! 🙂
Shrimp Red Pepper Cream Cheese Empanadas
- 8 Goya Empanadas wrappers
- 1/2 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chppeed
- 2 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Pepperjack cheese
- Mccormick's Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Sesoning
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and red peppers to the skillet. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet. Season the shrimp with the seasonings. Cook for a few minutes until the shrimp turns bright pink.
- Drizzle the lemon juice throughout the skillet. Add the cream cheese and half of the pepper jack and mozzarella. Stir continuously until the cheese has melted.
- Lay the empanada wrappers on a flat surface. Dip a cooking brush in water. Glaze each of the empanada wrappers with the wet brush along the edges. This will soften the crust and make it easier to roll.
- Load the shrimp mixture into each of the empanadas.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the shrimp mixture. Close the empanadas. Roll the empanada in half. Pinch the crust along each of the edges. Roll each of the sides inward. Continue to twist the crust until closed.
- Add the empanadas to a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the empanadas from the oven. Melt the butter in the microwave for 20 seconds. Using a cooking brush, spread the melted over the top of each.
- Allow to cool before serving.