Savory Bacon Mushroom Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl is the perfect way to change the typical outlook we all have on oatmeal. We are constantly seeing different ways to prepare oatmeal. There are lots of recipes that add chia seeds, flaxseed, fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, and much more.
I work out most mornings. I eat breakfast after my workout. Lots of protein for breakfast is usually key for me. Typically, oatmeal is not the best option for me.
While adding fruit to oatmeal is very tasty, it also adds sugar and carbs with no added protein benefit. Hence, the idea of savory oatmeal and this recipe! This recipe changed the game for me. It allows me to add oatmeal back into my morning routine but also gives me the protein I need post workout.
I used Uncured, Nitrate-Free bacon for this recipe. It is my personal favorite. Nitrates are found in most bacon, deli meats, and more. There is a lot of research that indicates nitrates are not good for our bodies and may contribute to cancer.
I generally prefer regular bacon to turkey bacon because only 1 gram of fat is eliminated per 2 slices of turkey bacon with the switch. For me personally, this benefit is not meaningful, especially with the availability of a nitrate-free option. Feel free to use what you wish.
This is a great way to sneak kale into a dish. Kale provides SO MANY nutrients. It is so yummy in this dish!
Savory Bacon Mushroom Oatmeal
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Saute the mushrooms and kale for a few minutes until the mushrooms are soft and the kale wilts.
- Cook the oatmeal according to package instructions.
- Poach the egg.
- Add the oatmeal to a bowl. Add the Greek yogurt and salt. Stir until fully combined.
- Toss the crumbled bacon, kale, and mushrooms throughout.
- Top with the poached egg. Sprinkle the crushed red pepper on top.