Keto Low-Carb Homemade Mason Jar Mint Chocolate Ice Cream is a healthy, no-churn recipe that uses a mason jar and only 5 ingredients. This frozen dessert includes sugar-free chocolate chips and is made without an ice cream maker and is absolutely perfect for the keto diet.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERE’S IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
No churn simply means an ice cream maker was not used or needed for this recipe. You only need a couple of common kitchen tools.
What Kind of Ice Cream Can I Eat on Keto Diet?
You will want to be sure you select an ice cream that is free from refined sugar and low in carbs. There are a few brands of ice cream out there that are no sugar added and/or lower in carbs than normal ice cream.
These include brands like Halo Top, Enlightened, Edy’s No-Sugar-Added, among others. You have to be very cautious with these brands, because the net carbs are still relatively high, in terms of sticking to a strict keto lifestyle.
How to Make Ice Cream in a Mason Jar
Making ice cream in a mason jar reminds me a lot of shaking cream to make butter. You can read more about how to make Homemade Mason Jar Butter here.
To make ice cream, it doesn’t take much! You will have to shake it up for quite a bit. So be prepared for that!
How to Make Homemade Keto Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
- You will need heavy whipping cream, pure vanilla extract, peppermint extract, sugar-free chocolate chips, and matcha MCT oil powder (used in place of food coloring to give the ice cream a green color)
- Add all of the ingredients to a mason jar.
- Shake for 5 minutes.
- Freeze for 3 hours.
What is the Serving Size
This recipe makes 4 servings of ice cream.
Where Can I Buy Keto Ice Cream
You can buy keto ice cream at most standard grocery stores. See above for noted brands, but be sure to read labels carefully.
Is Pure Vanilla Keto Friendly?
Yes, be sure to look for a brand that contains only vanilla, water, and alcohol. You want pure vanilla.
Is Halo Top Ice Cream Low Carb? Can You Eat Halo Top Ice Cream on Keto?
The ingredients found in Halo Top include skim milk, eggs, cream, erythritol, organic cane sugar, milk protein concentrate, high fat cocoa, vegetable glycerin, prebiotic fiber, sea salt, organic carob gum, organic guar gum and finally, organic stevia leaf extract.
If you limit yourself to one serving of the ice cream, you may be able to work it into your macros.
Ice Cream Taste
The taste and texture is amazing. The ice cream will be really soft and creamy. You don’t want to let it sit out for long periods of time. Heavy whipping cream is the base of this recipe and it also has a high-fat content, which is great for keto macros. You can use the ice cream as a fat bomb if you wish.
More Keto Dessert Recipes
Easy, Keto Low-Carb Mason Jar Homemade Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
- Watch the video instructions below.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mason jar.
- Note: The majority of the chocolate chips will sink to the bottom of the jar and the ice cream, once frozen. You may select to add half of the chocolate chips at this stage, and the remaining after the ice cream has frozen and formed.
- Shake the jar until the mixture becomes really thick (and no longer shakes around inside the jar). This took me about 5 minutes. You can use both hands, or alternate between one and the other. If you have ever made homemade butter, this process is similar.
- Seal the jar and freeze the ice cream for at least 3 hours.
- I let the jar sit at room temperature for 3-4 minutes before digging in!