The holiday season is here, insert Holiday Crack Cream Cheese Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes. It’s time to indulge in yummy holiday foods! This year, as with holidays past, I was asked to contribute my “crack” mashed potatoes to the Thanksgiving festivities. My good friend nicknamed this recipe “crack potatoes” several years ago.
I have always hosted an annual, women-only fantasy football draft party. The first year I made these potatoes all of my friends raved and the nickname was formed. I was told there would be 20 people in attendance for Thanksgiving. My first thought was about the arm workout I would get in mashing all of those potatoes by hand. It may be time to add a rotating potato masher to my Amazon Wishlist! My mashed potatoes are always a hit, so I was excited to contribute.
This is a little over a full package of potatoes. I used red potatoes because I cooked this dish for a big family (20 people). Red potatoes are easy to peel and boil faster than regular. They are also my favorite!
I ended up using about 2 packages of cream cheese because of the number of potatoes used. It’s best to use your judgment here. These ingredients are key and contribute to the savory flavor.
You don’t need much Parmesan cheese for this recipe. The focus is on the garlic and the overall creamy texture. The cheese is a slight compliment.
Be sure to heat the cream cheese in the microwave for 20-25 seconds to soften it. It definitely helps with mixing and blending the mixture. You can also leave the cream cheese out at room temperature while you are prepping the dish. Add the whipping cream during the step. The added liquid makes the mixture easier to blend.
I add the small slices of butter to the top prior to baking so the potatoes have a slight crust.
Holiday Crack Cream Cheese Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- 12 red potatoes peeled
- 12 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 - 3/4 stick butter
- 8 fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- paprika salt, and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray. Heat the skillet on medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- Place the cream cheese in the microwave for 25-30 seconds to soften.
- Add the cream cheese, whipping cream, milk, garlic, and the Parmesan cheese to the bowl. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Add the mixture to a baking dish.
- Cut the butter into small individual slices.
- Add the butter slices to the top of the mixture.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top.
- Bake until the top begins to brown (about 35-40 minutes)