These Easy Air Fryer Cherry Turnovers are a quick dessert recipe using Pepperidge Farm puff pastry. These fried hand pies can be frozen for later and quickly reheated for breakfast or snacks.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
Growing up I couldn’t wait to get my hands on an apple or cherry turnover at my family’s favorite local fried chicken restaurant. We frequently referred to these as hand pies, too!
They are crispy and flaky, fried hard for a little crunch, and loaded with sweet gooey filling.
And you better believe you can make it that way in the air fryer, too!
How to Make Air Fryer Turnovers
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 4 squares.
- Load the pastry with filling.
- Roll and close the pastry. Seal using the edge of a fork.
- Glaze with an egg wash.
- Air fry.
How to Roll and Seal Puff Pastry
- Once you have your filling loaded, fold the dough over diagonally to create a triangle and seal the dough.
- Use the back of a fork to press lines into the open edges of each turnover to seal.
Air Fryer Temperature
Cook the pastries on 370 degrees.
How Long to Cook/Cook Time
8 minutes works well for me.
Puff Pastry Tips
You can thaw the puff pastry for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator prior to preparing the recipe. You can also thaw it at room temperature, but not for more than 40 minutes. If you exceed this time the pastry will become sticky and hard to work with.
How to Substitute Puff Pastry
Croissant and Crescent Roll dough can be used as substitutes, but they won’t work as well in my opinion. Puff pastry is really flaky and similar to a turnover.
Filling Flavor Substitutes
- Cream Cheese
How to Keep them Crispy
You will need to reheat them in the air fryer to keep the crunch. From the refrigerator, you can reheat them on 370 degrees for 3-4 minutes. Spritz the pastry with cooking oil if you have trouble getting them to crisp.
How to Store the Turnovers
The dessert will last in the fridge (tightly sealed) for up to a week.
I love to freeze these! They make for a nice quick breakfast or dessert! Seal the pies in sealable bags or containers. Reheat them in the air fryer on 370 degrees for 5-6 minutes.
More Air Fryer Desserts
Popular Air Fryer Recipes
Easy Air Fryer Cherry Turnovers
- 17 oz package puff pastry 4 sheets
- 10 oz can of cherry pie filling
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- cooking oil I use olive oil.
- Lay the pastry sheets on a flat surface.
- Unfold both sheets of the puff pastry dough. Cut each sheet into 4 squares, making 8 squares total.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl along with the water to create an egg wash.
- Use a cooking brush or your fingers to brush along the edges of each square with the egg wash.
- Load 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of cherry pie filling into the middle of each square sheet. Do not overfill the pastry.
- Fold the dough over diagonally to create a triangle and seal the dough. Use the back of a fork to press lines into the open edges of each turnover to seal.
- Make 3 slits into the top of the crust to vent the turnovers.
- Brush the top of each turnover with the egg wash. (You can also do this step after you have placed them in the air fryer basket.)
- Spritz the air fryer basket with cooking oil and add the turnovers. Make sure they do not touch and do not stack the turnovers. Cook in batches if needed.
- Air fry on 370 degrees for 8 minutes. I did not flip.
- Allow the pastries to cool for 2-3 minutes prior to removing them from the air fryer. This will ensure they do not stick.
- You can thaw the puff pastry for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator prior to preparing the recipe. You can also thaw it at room temperature, but not for more than 40 minutes. If you exceed this time the pastry will become sticky and hard to work with.
- If there are areas of the turnover that are white from the flour, you can coat the area with the egg wash or with cooking oil.
- For icing, I usually keep it easy and use store-bought white icing gel. To make your own you can combine 1 cup of Confectioner’s sweetener, 2 tablespoons of milk, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.