This is the Best Homemade Steak Rub Seasoning made with simple spices. This blend is great for strip steaks, ribeyes, filet mignon, sirloin or whatever cut of meat you plan to grill, bake in the oven, cast iron sear, or cook in the air fryer.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
What Spices You Will Need
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Brown Sugar or Sweetener
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
How to Store the Seasoning/How Long Will it Last
If you are making a large batch of the Steak Seasoning, store it in an airtight container. I love to use these glass jars for storage. Ground spices usually last for 6 months. After that they will start to lose their flavor. I check this by giving the jar a whiff. If the smell is still potent it’s probably still good.
Whole spices will last up to 5 years.
Tips on How to Season and Make the Perfectly Cooked Steak
- Tendorize and marinate the meat. This will get the steak nice and juicy.
- Let the steaks come to room temperature prior to cooking.
- Be sure to use salt. Kosher salt works best. Its crystal size allows for prime absorption into the outer layer of the steak. The flavor and texture will be phenomenal.
- Cook the steak to your perfect internal temperature. Use a meat thermometer and cook to 125° F for rare, 135° F for medium-rare, 145° F for medium, 155° F for medium-well, and 160° F for well done.
- Allow the steak to rest for at least 3 minutes before slicing or consuming. If you slice into the steak too soon, that will cause thatthe inside moisture within the steak to spill out onto the plate, leaving a drier, less flavorful steak.
More Homemade Seasoning and Spice Blend Recipes
Pair With These Steak Recipes
Best Homemade Steak Rub Seasoning
- Combine the ingredients and stir. Store sealed.