This Easy Smoked Asparagus is seasoned with a homemade BBQ rub, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper, and salt. Season it up any way you like. This dish can be made on any smoker or Traeger pellet grill.
How to Trim the Stalks
Grab a knife and cutting board. You want to trim the white and woody lower ends of the asparagus. The ends are usually tough in texture. You can read about The Right Way to Trim Asparagus here.
How to Season It
I like to add a few of my favorite spices along with salt. Here are other ideas if you are looking to switch up the flavor of these from time to time.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- Homemade BBQ Seasoning
- Smoked Paprika
- Brown Sweetener or Sugar
- Parmesan Cheese
- Maple Syrup
How to Smoke Asparagus
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Rub olive oil into the asparagus. Sprinkle spices throughout and rub them into the asparagus.
I recommend 225 degrees.
Cook Time/How Long it Takes to Cook
It will take 45-60 minutes to become tender with the perfect texture. Flip the asparagus halfway through the cooking process.
What Type of Wood/Pellets to Use
The asparagus will cook fast, so I prefer strong smoky wood and pellet flavors, like hickory, mesquite, or the Traeger Signature Blend.
Stringy and Mushy Asparagus
This happens when you overcook the asparagus. See the notes above for how to avoid mushy asparagus.
More Smoked Side Dishes
Smoked Baked Beans
Smoked Sweet Potatoes
Smoked Mac and Cheese
Smoked Baked Potatoes
Pair with these Main Dish Smoked Recipes
Traeger Smoked Glazed Ham
Traeger Smoked Turkey Breast
Traeger Smoked Salmon
Traeger Smoked Chicken Breast
Traeger Smoked Ribs (3-2-1 Method)
Traeger Smoked Chicken Wings
Smoked Lobster Tail
Traeger Smoked Whole Chicken
Traeger Smoked Brisket
- 1 pound fresh asparagus Trimmed, woody ends removed.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon BBQ rub or seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- salt to taste
- Preheat the smoker to 225 degrees.
- Rub the olive oil into the asparagus. Sprinkle the spices throughout and rub them into the asparagus.
- Place the asparagus on the smoker. Smoke for 45-60 minutes until the texture softens.
- Cool before serving.